Mailings, Attachments, and CRM Database Size RRS feed

• Question

• One of my services that my customers pay for is a monthly newsletter that goes out in the form of a PDF file as an e-mail attachment.

From many points of view it would make a lot of sense for me to use CRM to send this out (I'm currently doing it straight from my Outlook box and not tracking the e-mail even though I do use the Outlook Client).

The only reservation I have about this is what it could do to my CRM database. The PDF is typically in the 700kb-800kb range (but could go up) and goes out to hundreds of subscribers.

I am not sure how CRM handles an attachment to an e-mail that is sent out to a list -- is there a separate copy for each recipient, or is it relational (i.e., one copy of the actual file that is then linked as an attachment to the e-mail record for each recipient). Any recommendations on this?

(Database size *may* be an issue for me, as my CRM is hosted...)

Thanks very much in advance!
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:05 AM

Answers

• Unfortunatly Dynamics CRM it's keeping a copy of the same email for each recipient (let imagine 700kB per 1000 = 700MB).

You can store file on the webserver and send only a link to it in the email.
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by kgorczewski Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michel Ehrlich Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:14 AM

All replies

• Unfortunatly Dynamics CRM it's keeping a copy of the same email for each recipient (let imagine 700kB per 1000 = 700MB).

You can store file on the webserver and send only a link to it in the email.
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by kgorczewski Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michel Ehrlich Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Thanks kgorczewski!
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:04 PM