Stuck in Windows 7 Upgrade Purgatory; Microsoft Phone Support Quite Rude RRS feed

• Question

• I sadly found Microsoft phone support (which is answered in India) to be rude and unhelpful.  My attempt today to speak to a manager lead the phone support person to connect me to an extension that rang and rang for 20 minutes straight (yes, I was desperate for help). 

I have Windows 7 - Upgrade version.  My Dell desktop came with pre-installed Windows Vista, and no backup CD.  I had successfully upgraded to Windows 7 before.  But now with a corrupted harddrive and need to reinstall everything from scratch, I'm stuck.  It won't let me reinstall Windows 7 without first installing Vista (which is not an option).  My Dell support period has expired, and I don't want to buy a new full version of Windows 7 (as Microsoft phone support rudely insisted). 

Perhaps the moral is that nobody should ever buy a Windows Upgrade version from Microsoft, because there is a risk you will be stuck in Upgrade Purgatory.  Oh, and don't expect much from Microsoft phone support.

Edit: A helpful poster directed me to the Windows 7 Answers Forum.
    • Changed type CreativeTechLaw Friday, June 10, 2011 4:33 AM Found more appropriate forum for original question
    • Edited by CreativeTechLaw Friday, June 10, 2011 4:36 AM
    • Changed type Darin Smith MS Friday, June 10, 2011 7:37 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 2:27 AM

Answers

• It won't let me reinstall Windows 7 without first installing Vista (which is not an option).  My Dell support period has expired, and I don't want to buy a new full version of Windows 7 (as Microsoft phone support rudely insisted).

Yes, reinstalling Vista is still an option.

You just need to get a replacement disk of the Dell Windows Recovery software for your PC.  Since you are out of your support period, the replacement will likely cost a nominal fee, but should be far less then buying a full copy of Windows.

I recommend going to http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/byphone?c=us&l=en&s=gen and start off calling the Product Support 'General Number'.

Hope that helps,

Darin MS
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:37 PM

All replies

• You can receive expert advice by posting your inquiry in the more appropriate Windows 7 Answers Forum, thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, June 10, 2011 2:34 AM
  • It won't let me reinstall Windows 7 without first installing Vista (which is not an option).  My Dell support period has expired, and I don't want to buy a new full version of Windows 7 (as Microsoft phone support rudely insisted).

Yes, reinstalling Vista is still an option.

You just need to get a replacement disk of the Dell Windows Recovery software for your PC.  Since you are out of your support period, the replacement will likely cost a nominal fee, but should be far less then buying a full copy of Windows.

I recommend going to http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/byphone?c=us&l=en&s=gen and start off calling the Product Support 'General Number'.

Hope that helps,

Darin MS
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:37 PM