none
Server reinstallation: Data partition is RAW instead of NTFS RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to reinstall my custom built WHS the installer doesn't give me the option to reinstall, only install. Before I attempted the reinstallation I used Clonezilla to clone the main 1.5TB hard drive to a new 2TB hard drive I just bought. After the cloning, the only error I get from both of the hard drives is an issue about an SSL service which could be caused by me removing the Ethernet cable.

When the Home Server installation comes up the drive list shows my NTFS SYS partition while my Data partition doesn't show a name and the filesystem type is RAW. I can access my data partition in My Computer when I RDP into it. I have tried reinstalling on both drives but it still shows the same results.

Thanks,
    Jonnie

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Jonnie,
    cloning is not supported and only works in very specific circumstances (you would have to clone also the physical drive information).

If the DATA volume is shown as RAW, then something is seriously wrong with it - maybe chkdsk /r used on that drive can resolve it, maybe not.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:28 AM
  • I ran Chkdsk D: /R in command prompt. It came up with no bad sectors and I still have the issue of the installer seeing that my Data drive is of RAW format. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:28 PM
  • After I have seen this on one of my WHS, finally a clean install was due (after backing up the data manually as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server error).

Could also be, that the setup DVD has problems with the large disk (in the past I have read about issues with drivers, controllers, etc.).

Olaf

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:40 PM
  • I read your fantastic guide and I will be installing WHS onto my 1.5TB hard drive then copying the data from the 2TB(clone drive) to the 1.5TB drive. Even though you said that the computer backups will be lost is there any way to keep the computer backups? Any issues with my plan?
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:56 PM
  • Olaf,

I just experienced this on a test WHS box using the Technet PP1 WHS.  No matter what I did, one of my drives, not always the same one, would show as raw even though it was labeled 'Data' when I tried a server reinstallation.  The other three would show as NTFS and Data. The drives consisted of 3 each 1.5TB WD EADS (two being 00P8B0 and the third being 00S2B0) , and one 1.5TB Samsung HD154UI.  When I tried a new istallation, one would also show as raw.  None of the drives checked out bad with ChkDsk.  A server reinstallation always resulted in file conflicts.  I might mention, there was a combination of duplication and no duplication shared folders on the drives.  A new installation would succeed with no problems.  I would load the drives with data and repeat the server reinstall effort with one drive showing as raw every time.

The test box was a repurposed HP A1700n with the Asus  A8M2N-LA (NodusM3-GL8E) motherboard, Athlon 64 X2 (W) 3800+ 2.0 GHz and 2GB DDR2 PC2-4200.  The box is now running Vail (test) with the same drives with no problems.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

After I have seen this on one of my WHS, finally a clean install was due (after backing up the data manually as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server error).

Could also be, that the setup DVD has problems with the large disk (in the past I have read about issues with drivers, controllers, etc.).

Olaf

BullDawg
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:49 PM
  • I was searching up on the site and I found this where I understand that you can restore your backups. Would this be possible in my situation?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/d45974d7-6e45-4af2-91a7-31c56e72be3a/

Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:31 PM