Incorrect space reported RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have just installed WHS and i have got a 1TB drive and a 750GB drive installed.

Now it is reporting the total size as 911GB but the free space as 1.57TB

Now although at the moment this hasnt caused a probelm when i map the drives in windows it shows them as red.

Is there a know problem with this or is there an easy way to fix it.

Cheers
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    this is a known cosmetic issue.
    Before the patch causing this Vista checked the free space on drive D: on the server before writing to shared folders and rejected to write, if the selection to write was larger than that. Even if the free space in the storage pool was much higher. The patch now tricks Windows Explorer to see the full storage space in the pool - but only on the free space side.
    This effect is only visible, if you map a network drive (which can be circumvented by accessing the shared folders directly) or if you access the Windows Explorer on the server desktop locally (which is not supported).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by cnewton2k Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:13 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    this is a known cosmetic issue.
    Before the patch causing this Vista checked the free space on drive D: on the server before writing to shared folders and rejected to write, if the selection to write was larger than that. Even if the free space in the storage pool was much higher. The patch now tricks Windows Explorer to see the full storage space in the pool - but only on the free space side.
    This effect is only visible, if you map a network drive (which can be circumvented by accessing the shared folders directly) or if you access the Windows Explorer on the server desktop locally (which is not supported).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by cnewton2k Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:13 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Thanks for your help btw

So basically untill a fix is sorted just run with it ?

Cheers
    • Marked as answer by cnewton2k Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:51 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by cnewton2k Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:13 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Yep just run with it. I expect that if Microsoft could have changed the total size reported, they probably would have. Probably the change for free space was the least-risk change to fix a big functionality problem - anything else may have introduced other issues.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 4:49 AM