Public Folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I wonder how I make a public folder in WHS2011? I want the users can access a folder without password as http://myhomeserver/public_folder

How can i do that ? plz help !

----- S-O-K-O-B-A-N -----
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:39 AM

Answers

• Via the web? Windows Home Server 2011 doesn't have any built-in tools to let you create a public web site. You should be able to do so on your own if you're familiar with managing IIS, however. Note that setting up a public web site is pretty likely to be against your ISP's terms of service, assuming you have a residential internet connection.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken Warren Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sokoban Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:23 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:55 AM

All replies

• Via the web? Windows Home Server 2011 doesn't have any built-in tools to let you create a public web site. You should be able to do so on your own if you're familiar with managing IIS, however. Note that setting up a public web site is pretty likely to be against your ISP's terms of service, assuming you have a residential internet connection.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken Warren Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sokoban Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:23 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Any suggestions out there for all of us that arent that familiar with IIS. I bought the "Unleashed" book and the idea of this type of folder is mentioned but couldnt really find a set of instructions to do this. There was a WHS v1 "For Dummies" but not one for v2. 

Anyone seen a "how to" article on this out there?

Anyone know of a consultant (for fee) that might right a simple set of instructions on how to do this?

My router and everything should still be set up from using WHIIST on v1 and there seems to be enough interest to do this.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:08 PM
  • You could always set up an FTP server on your home server.  There's an article here on how to get FileZilla set up.  It's relevant to WHS v1, but works for 2011 as well.  Once you have it set up you would just create a group for anonymous users and give them access to your desired folder. 
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:45 PM
  • If it is built into Homeserver will have to give it a try that way first. Never worked with IIS so I usually dont like playing with something I havent worked with before.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:24 PM