none
Cannot Restore MS Money from Backup - Passport email or password incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• 11<sup>th</sup> June 2011. - I recently had to re install MS Money 2004 due to the sound not working correctly after changing my Windows 7 theme. The money data is well backed up to a home network storage device (NAS) using 'Storagecraft Shadopwprotect' and I also backed up to a USB stick to recover the data after re installing Money. Prior to uninstalling I used the passport login facility and had remember password ticked for convenience. Money has re installed OK but when I try to recover the data from any of the backups it tries to sign in to Microsoft .NET Passport then comes up with the error 'The email address or password is incorrect. Please try again'. The password and email are correct as I can log in to passport directly OK but now cannot recover years of data I have accumulated in MS Money. I am located in the UK. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 9:17 AM

All replies

• First, I fear you may be using Money 2005 rather than 2004. Help->About will tell. Money 2004 would be version 12.0.*.*. If instead you have version 14.0.120.*, there will be a problem.

If you are using Money 2004, disconnect from the internet. Then log in offline with the credentials in effect when you saved the Money file. Don't use whatever you changed your LiveID to since you were successful with your file.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Cal, thanks for your reply. I have version 14.0.120.730 and have tried what you suggest but it is still asking for my credentials to access the backup file. Is there anything I can do at all? Regards!
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Cal, thanks for your reply. I have version 14.0.120.730 and have tried what you suggest but it is still asking for my credentials to access the backup file. Is there anything I can do at all? Regards!

Sorry to hear that. That is UK Money 2005. You can read many threads about the problems that that brings to those who install without having taken significant action in advance.

Do you by chance have another computer (your laptop computer maybe) that was runing Money? Do you have a disk image or copy in your NAS of the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles that pre-dates your changes? Either of those will lead to a solution. Lacking either of those, there is not an easy solution. The http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/money/thread/ba8e9925-b188-4885-a057-3fbf96a99412 thread may offer an idea if you read through.

Note that using a US Money Plus Sunset is very unlikely to be a solution for a UK Money user who wants to use an existing Money file.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:09 PM
  • We have a PC on our network at home in a family office and I have managed to access the data using the method you suggested by disconnecting from the intenet and logging in off line using the old password. (This is great progress!) I have creating a backup of the data from the family PC to a USB stick and then tried recovering it to my main PC but it is still coming up with the incorrect credentials error even when disconnected from the internet and using the old password o the family PC that accesses the data OK! Any further suggestions? Can I save the data in a format that doesn't need a password? Thanks in anticipation!
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:25 AM
  • The problem is not the data. You need an update of Money 2005 to 14.0.120.1105. The Microsoft online source for this is no longer available.

• Enable "Show hidden files" on the networked PC with Money 2005 and your new system.
    • Copy the whole C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\MnyCoreFiles directory from the networked PC and paste that over the MnyCoreFiles directory in your new installation.
    • You should then be at 14.0.120.1105 and your data will be accessible.
    • Then see http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx and create the modified installation CD so you can reinstall in future.
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:40 PM
  • I have done that but when I start Money I get an error message 'Unable to initialise an essential Money component. Please reinstall Money from the original product disks.' I then click 'OK' on the dialoge box and get 'Windows cannot find C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\checksku.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.'
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:28 PM
  • checksku.exe is not in my UK 2005 Standard MnyCoreFiles.  Nor on the (working) patched CD.

SHOULD I have a copy?  It is mentioned in this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313374

Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:39 PM
  • I cannot see checksku.exe in the core files. Both computers are from the same original disk which is MS Money Financial Suite
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:43 PM
  • I have done exactly what you suggest and have taken a screenshot of the files here http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac177/Simwhit_2010/MNYCoreFilse.gif
    Monday, June 13, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Just for info, I've dug out my original genuine MS Money 2005 UK CD and checksku.exeis not on it.

Since my system is working OK I am not too worried BUT... what does checksku.exe do?

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:11 PM
  • We have a PC on our network at home in a family office and I have managed to access the data using the method you suggested by disconnecting from the intenet and logging in off line using the old password. (This is great progress!) I have creating a backup of the data from the family PC to a USB stick and then tried recovering it to my main PC but it is still coming up with the incorrect credentials error even when disconnected from the internet and using the old password o the family PC that accesses the data OK! Any further suggestions? Can I save the data in a format that doesn't need a password? Thanks in anticipation!

Make sure the "family office" machine is running version 14.0.120.1105. If it is, what you want to do at that point is to copy the entire "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles" folder to a USB flash drive. Do not make a mistake and overwrite the "family office" machine.

Go to the problem machine that is version 14.0.120.730. On the problem machine, close Money. Rename the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005" folder to "MNYCoreFilesOld". To do that with Windows Explorer, you may have to right-click the Windows Explorer launch icon, and choos Run As Administrator.

Copy the entire "MNYCoreFiles" folder from the flash drive to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles" position. See if you can open "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\Sample.mny" and see if the version now shows 14.0.120.1105. Any joy?

Save your copy of the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\C:\Program Files" folder  for future use somehow.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Cal, before I do this I have looked at the files in the 2 versions and compared them as suggested by DominicP and noticed the following differences:

In the familiy room (worrkig) version there are the following files in the MNYCoreFiles folder (with hidden files and protected operating system files showing) that do not appear in the problem version:

OLPerf.dat = 1KB

Surf32.mar = 4,971KB

txtoolbar.xml = 1KB

There is also an additional folder named MNYCoreFiles.BAK.{FEC69D39-ADBA-4928-98F0-3571AA97ABDF}

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:31 PM
  • I'm getting this same error as Simwhit on the copying over of the MNYCoreFiles, the 'Unable to initialise an essential Money component. Please reinstall Money from the original product disks.' I then click 'OK' on the dialoge box and get 'Windows cannot find C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\checksku.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.' I also do not have this file on the original Product disk or in the saved MNYCoreFiles area as per others above.

Before I do the copy over the version works at .730

I'll experiment with copying over the hidden "Common" folder (it has one file in it), and trying a less all inclusive copy over of everything and update here.

Could this be a Registry issue?

Friday, June 17, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Just for info, again.  I've done a fresh install with my patched 2005 UK disk (which does NOT have checksku.exe on) on a new install on Win7 Pro 32 bit.  Works perfectly.

Friday, June 17, 2011 9:44 AM
  • I wonder if it is a registry problem (as per RJ38 last post).

Reading the KB313374 article, it appears as if when Money thinks the installaiton is damaged, it will attempt to run checksku.exe to recreate the RequiredInfoState regsitry key(s). My bet is that Money 2005 had a packaging error and they forgot to include checksku.exe in the product.

To check that registry key against those that work (like mine and say banjomike's), perhaps you could post your values here and then we can check against ours. The full path of the registry key is shown in the above mentioned KB article.

Friday, June 17, 2011 12:38 PM
  • To check that registry key against those that work (like mine and say banjomike's), perhaps you could post your values here and then we can check against ours. The full path of the registry key is shown in the above mentioned KB article.
    I'm guessing that you have not looked at that entry lately.  It is 68kb when I export it.  Too big to paste here and how to check it anyway?
    Friday, June 17, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Good point, I hadn't checked the actual key.

Can't do that then.

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Cal, before I do this I have looked at the files in the 2 versions and compared them as suggested by DominicP and noticed the following differences:

In the familiy room (worrkig) version there are the following files in the MNYCoreFiles folder (with hidden files and protected operating system files showing) that do not appear in the problem version:

OLPerf.dat = 1KB

Surf32.mar = 4,971KB

txtoolbar.xml = 1KB

There is also an additional folder named MNYCoreFiles.BAK.{FEC69D39-ADBA-4928-98F0-3571AA97ABDF}

Has anybody any suggestions re this?
    Friday, June 17, 2011 5:41 PM
  • From my working installation:

OLPerf.dat = 252 bytes

surf32.mar = 5089999 bytes

txtoolbar.xml= 1004 bytes

These files all seem to be created at installation and then not modified again.  Mine are all datestamped when I installed it.

The folder MNYCoreFiles.BAK (etc) is also on my install

along with:

MNYCoreFiles.NEW.{9D6EAA4F-27B2-4407-AC72-4BBD2FCB6ED1} which contains zero files or folders

The folders DO NOT exist on the patched CD so I assume they are created on install.

Friday, June 17, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Fixed my error and it is now working.

I decided to wind it back to basics so I followed the delete money kdb which tells you to remove all folders manually etc ("registry cleaner" no longer exists so couldn't do that bit). This includes a PC shutdown, wait a minute, then startup.

I then followed the 630 process for creating the CD with copying over the old MNYCoreFiles to your Folder. It doesn't autorun once you have burnt it but no big shakes. Just to to be sure, once the install had completed, I ran the sample.mny to ensure money does open. I then tried my file and it opened OK. I checked the Help->About and it still shows .730 version so it isn't perfect but it'll do.

Friday, June 17, 2011 11:20 PM
  • I checked the Help->About and it still shows .730 version so it isn't perfect but it'll do.

Congrats ... BUT ... I'm sure that About should say 14.0.120.1105 and nothing else.
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:49 AM
  • I have tried what you suggest but when I re start Money after copying over the files I get an error 'Unable to initialise an essential Money component. Please reinstall Money from your original product disks'. I then click OK on the dialogue box and get 'Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\checksku.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and tthen try again.'.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 11:37 AM
  • I have tried what you suggest but when I re start Money after copying over the files I get an error 'Unable to initialise an essential Money component. Please reinstall Money from your original product disks'. I then click OK on the dialogue box and get 'Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\checksku.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and tthen try again.'.

I'm not sure you are doing exactly what is recommended. 

What is usually suggested (and certainly works OK) is to create a modified installation CD and then do a fresh install of Money 2005 from that CD so that the normal installation process (starting with autorun etc) actually uses the newer 1105 files (all dated 5th November 2004) to do the install.  I've never tried simply copying the modified MNYCoreFiles folder to an already existing installation.

The autorun DOES work after the modifications.
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Oh, I am sorry but I am a bit of a novice at this! How would I create the installation CD?
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 6:43 PM
  • The link to that info was given earlier in this thread by DominicP.

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

It DOES work.  Hope it works for you.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:02 PM
  • Thanks! I really appreciate the advice!
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Go here and download the Sunset version of Money Plus.  I've had the same problems and this solved it all.  Quick and painless.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20738

Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Hi I am new to this and after explorering solutions to my situation this is the closest I can get to.  My system crashed and had to recovery my data from my previous computer running XP and money 2005. Went to recover my data for money 2005 and ran into same situation on access the information. I tried to reinstall my original money 2005 on windows 7and couldn't access my information and tried the sunset version.  I was hoping that someone could confirm my understanding of what i need to do

1) Best to reload money 2005

2) Need to ensure version 14.0.120.1105 isloaded. May have difficulty with this.

3) Need to work offline and disengaging Windows live sign on.

4) Hopefully this will get access to my recovered files.

Any recommendations

Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:11 PM
    1. You want to reinstall Money with a new download as listed in http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3  Thus you would install Money 2005 with the updates already done, or you would Install Money Plus Sunset, as appropriate to your country.
    2. Taken care of inside the installation file
    3. Yes. Disconnect from the Internet before starting Money, and then remove the Live ID.
    4. It should. copy your *.mny and *.mbf files to other media, such as a flash drive, to keep an extra copy of the important stuff.

Review your backup policies. Keep a copy of that Money reinstallation file for future use on other media and do not lose it.

Saturday, September 3, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Thanks Carl this is the furtherest I have gotten.  My original purchase of Money 2005 was Canadian which I assume would have the same settings as US.  I went to the site recommended and ended up with the sunset deluxe version.  I finally got passed the access issue to my restored file through the offline access.  However when the file opened it just opened a file with no information like starting over.  The restored file has 3.2 mgs of information but I still cannot see it.  Do you have any recommendations / tips what I may be doing wrong?
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Thanks Carl this is the furtherest I have gotten.  My original purchase of Money 2005 was Canadian which I assume would have the same settings as US.  I went to the site recommended and ended up with the sunset deluxe version.  I finally got passed the access issue to my restored file through the offline access.  However when the file opened it just opened a file with no information like starting over.  The restored file has 3.2 mgs of information but I still cannot see it.  Do you have any recommendations / tips what I may be doing wrong?

I have been wondering what how the that would work with Canadian files.

So you restored a *.mbf file I guess. How large is that file? A 3.2 meg *.mny file would be empty or nearly empty.

I would check for other *.mbf , *.mbf and *.m14 files. I would keep a copy of each on other media. Look at the sizes and dates. Note that *.mbf files can be either compressed or uncompressed.

Sunday, September 4, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Thanks I investigated the files and they are all the same size >mbf, .mny.m14 and .m12.

The question I have is the org that recovered all my data got all my other records, however the money files I am having difficulty to recover.  Last time I used them was november 2010 and between the computer crashes and life in general I am trying desperately to get these records back. Based on your comments two things come to mind:

1) Does trying to recover money files from hard drive requires special tool.

2) I assumed all those years I was saving those files to my local hard drive. ( Unless Mirosoft was storing offline for me)

Just a note

The original purchase of Money 2005 was through Works.

Could you clarify this because i may have to go back to the org to relook at recovering my money files. any suggestions?

Monday, September 5, 2011 2:11 PM
  • It doesn't look good. Your drive has been to a file restoration service? That sounds serious.

1. Recovering files can be done with or without special tools. The simplest would require no special tools. Sometimes the company will change out the circuit board of a bad drive. Sometimes the company will move the platter(s) to a new drive in a clean room. That runs over a thousand dollars. The most sophisticated is extremely expensive, and I only know of it being done by governments.

2. Microsoft was never saving you Microsoft Money files on its servers. Some of us saved the scheduled  backups to USB flash drives. Back in the old days, many saved backups to flexible drives or other removable drives (remember ZIP Drives?)

Starting with Money 2006, Money had a multiple backup system for the each-exit and for the scheduled backups, where you could set a number (initially 4) of backups that money would keep of each type. The time and date was included in the filenames for the backup.

If you get going again, even with a new file, here are my suggesions for backup policy.

In M+: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _28_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _4_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to a CDR.

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to Postpone.

Monday, September 5, 2011 2:47 PM
  •   Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money

x Perform scheduled backups every _28_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _4_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to a CDR.

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to Postpone.

A few comments.  I use Money 2005 UK which doen't save generations of backups but since it prompts me with a filename each time I close Money I just change a four digit number I appended to the filename:

Browse to a location on a different physical disk, if you have one.

I always avoid using compression.  USB drives or external harddisks are big enough not to worry about saving  a few meg, and it is just something else that can go wrong.

I schedule backups every day I go into Money.  USBs etc are also very cheap.  After the USB backup is created I append the date to the filename on the USB.  This lets me build up a historical archive of backups.  At last count I had hundreds of generations of money files which get burned to CD and separately encrypted and uploaded to various cloud services.

• Edited by banjomike Monday, September 5, 2011 3:54 PM
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:53 PM