RoundTable Best Practices? RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the early stages of planning a RoundTable rollout. They will be located in several conferences rooms at multiple locations and each conference room will have a local PC with a RoundTable attached and Communicator 2007 and LiveMeeting 2007 installed.

I am looking for feedback on best practices in terms of:

1) Have a 'resource account' (which is OCS enabled) that the user (meeting presenter/attendee) logs-in as (either into the machine, and/or into Communciator with), or,

2) Have the user who is using the RoundTable (e.g. presenting) to login with their credentials to use the RoundTable.

I assumed #2 was best (for credentials, permissions, provisioning, etc...), but it also has some disadvantages over a resource account per

conference room that anyone can login to.

I've read the RoundTable deployment guide and user guide, I cannot find any best practices in this regard.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Friday, December 5, 2008 3:01 PM

Answers

• Because generic resource accounts for endpoint authentication are always a greater security risk than a human-related user account option #2 is preferred from a best practices standpoint.

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:26 PM
  • OCS is actually single identity related technology

You should always focus on the individual

It makes creating meetings much more simple because otherwise someone must make the room a presenter and have this resource account have access to user resources to share in the meeting

So option 2 is definately the preferred one

Meeting rooms should be in the meeting request according to Exchange Room resources as you are used to

Friday, December 5, 2008 8:11 PM

All replies

• Because generic resource accounts for endpoint authentication are always a greater security risk than a human-related user account option #2 is preferred from a best practices standpoint.

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:26 PM
  • OCS is actually single identity related technology

You should always focus on the individual

It makes creating meetings much more simple because otherwise someone must make the room a presenter and have this resource account have access to user resources to share in the meeting

So option 2 is definately the preferred one

Meeting rooms should be in the meeting request according to Exchange Room resources as you are used to

Friday, December 5, 2008 8:11 PM
  • I am concerned about the security implications also (although they can minimized with policies, etc...).  It also poses some usability challenges for scheduling a meeting (under one set of credentials and then trying to present that same meeting under another).

Friday, December 5, 2008 8:14 PM