QuickStarts Sample Files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to train to take the MCTS certification test.  I have 3.5 framework and working with VS 2005 and VS 2008 whichever works.  I'm running Win XP Professional on PC.

On the "

Learning Plan for Application Development Foundation by Using Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (Exam 70-536)" page, there is a link for QuickStarts http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zt83t3dy.aspx . 

I clicked the "

On that page, instructions let me know that I should have had the QuickStarts loaded at initial installation of Visual Studio in the \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Samples folder, however, it was not done. 

How do I get the samples so I can complete the .Net Framework 3.5 QuickStarts that is within my learning Plan to get the training for the MCTS certification? 

I have spent many hours trying to figure out how I can the proper training to get certification, not to mention money.  I have been trying to learn this technology for over 5 years, yet, have been unable to do so even though I work in .Net environments.  I code sporadically, because I know enough VB to get by, but I want to really KNOW the technology, not act as an "ad hoc" programmer. 

I am buying the book MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-536): Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Foundation.  Would this be the best path to take?  I am an avid reader.

Thank you in advance for your advice/direction.

Friday, March 6, 2009 6:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The quickstart and SDK samples are not installed by default when you install VS 2005. 
    If you have not selected them you can go to Control Panel and Add or Remove programs then on Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 select change/remove button.
    In VS 2005 Setup choose Add or Remove features, then under .Net Framework SDK select Quickstart Samples.
    This will install the samples.

Best of luck

Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Rosen_MS Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:32 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:54 AM

All replies

• Do not know about Quickstart but the 70-536 Self Paced training kit is the way to go, but do buy the latest version the older version has lots of mistakes and was prior to any changes that may have been made for 3.5.

Regards

Geoff
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:20 AM
  •  How do I get the samples so I can complete the .Net Framework 3.5 QuickStarts that is within my learning Plan to get the training for the MCTS certification? 
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

The quickstart and SDK samples are not installed by default when you install VS 2005. 
    If you have not selected them you can go to Control Panel and Add or Remove programs then on Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 select change/remove button.
    In VS 2005 Setup choose Add or Remove features, then under .Net Framework SDK select Quickstart Samples.
    This will install the samples.

Best of luck

Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Rosen_MS Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:32 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:54 AM
  • How do I install the QuickStart samples using VS2008? I tried modifying the VS 2008 Setup, but there is no option for installing the Quickstart Samples.

/Andreas

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:47 AM