Money Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• I was a user of a way outdated form of Microsoft Money. (So old I don't even remember what year) Recently I downloaded Money Sunset and have been using it. The only issues I am having is with the Cash Flow forecast. It does not include any of my budgeted amounts, like Food or Automobile expenses. Also, my upcoming bill feature does not include multiple instances of reoccurring bills & deposits.  Those were features I really liked. Is there some trick to getting these things? Thank you in advance!
    Sunday, January 17, 2016 8:07 PM

Answers

• Yes, in Money Sunset the "Bills Summary" view only shows the very next instance of any bill or deposit.  You can, of course, use "Edit a Single Bill Occurrence" to input future amounts (up to 12 values) and these values will be reflected in the future balances shown in the "Forecast Your Cash Flow" view.  I don't remember if older versions of Money showed each upcoming bill or deposit, but if they did it was quite a while ago.

While you are in that cash flow view, if you click on "Change Cash Flow Settings" you will see an option to include income and expenses that are in your budget but are not in your scheduled bills and deposits.  Money will even use past trends to calculate suitable amounts.  This can be very useful or a source of great confusion depending on how carefully you have set up your budget and how predictable your income and expenses are.  My experience led me to leave this unchecked and put the vast majority of my income and expenses in the "Bills Summary".  YMMV

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by K.Gentz Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:00 AM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 4:34 AM

All replies

• Yes, in Money Sunset the "Bills Summary" view only shows the very next instance of any bill or deposit.  You can, of course, use "Edit a Single Bill Occurrence" to input future amounts (up to 12 values) and these values will be reflected in the future balances shown in the "Forecast Your Cash Flow" view.  I don't remember if older versions of Money showed each upcoming bill or deposit, but if they did it was quite a while ago.

While you are in that cash flow view, if you click on "Change Cash Flow Settings" you will see an option to include income and expenses that are in your budget but are not in your scheduled bills and deposits.  Money will even use past trends to calculate suitable amounts.  This can be very useful or a source of great confusion depending on how carefully you have set up your budget and how predictable your income and expenses are.  My experience led me to leave this unchecked and put the vast majority of my income and expenses in the "Bills Summary".  YMMV

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by K.Gentz Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:00 AM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 4:34 AM
  • Thanks Bill. I think the version I was using was 2000. I loved it so much that I never bothered upgrading, until it stopped working. Thanks for the tips. 
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:16 AM