Bad blocks on disk 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I had some messages for the last few days in the Event Viewer/System that there were bad blocks on disk 2. WHS never indicated a problem thru the console. These messages appeared every few hours on average. I was wondering if it was likely that whs was seeing the same bad block and reporting it every time, or if it was more likely that there are a bunch of bad blocks, and each message was referring to a new one.

I poked around the directory until I found a place to run checkdisk on it and scheduled it (and another one by mistake) to run at next boot. So I restarted the server around 10 am yesterday and let checkdisk run on those two 500 GB drives. It finished at about 7:30 pm that same day (hey, it's a 500 MHz cpu) and so far no more bad blocks. Did checkdisk find the bad blocks and mark them for whs so they don't get used? Should I expect this disk to fail entirely soon?

Supposing I had to swap out that drive, what would be the procedure? There is one 160 GB system drive and four 500's for data, with about 661 GB in folders, same in dupes, and 646 GB free. I was wondering if I should turn off duplication first, then mark it for removal, etc. I don't want whs to use the data on this failing drive as the good data to save when I turn of duplication.

I did notice that the directory I was looking at identified the drives by the date they were added, so that was some help in physically determining which drive was which. When installing drives, I started at the top of the drive bays and have been working my way down, so they're in chronological order.
    Friday, April 18, 2008 4:36 PM

Answers

• It sounds as though you're getting the initial indications of a failing drive. You could download a disk check program from the disk manufacturer, or run something like Spinright to give you more information. WHS itself can't diagnose any problems, you need a SMART program to check, WHS can only report when it gets problems writing.

As this is disk 2, that would indicate it's a data pool drive; therefore, if you have the available space, which it sounds as though you do, then just mark it for removal. It can take hours (and hours,) to complete, so be ready for a long wait. I've no idea why it should take so long, but it sometimes does.

I wouldn't remove the duplication, unless you think the drive might fail prior to getting a new one, as you could end up with the single copy of whatever on that failing disk.

Colin 

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:02 PM