How to assign a resource exclusively? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

there is a scenario of resource management that wee need to implement.

I. Project manager (PM1) today assigns a resource (R1) on a task for 2011.11.11 (now h eis free for that day). On day 2011.11.11 another Project manager (PM2) wants to assign a task to the same resource (R1).

Question: How PM1 must assign a user to a task „exclusively“ so that PM2 cannot take a resource? Also resource R1 cannot be assigned with overtime work.

Part II. On a day 2011.11.10 PM1 removes a resource (R1) from a task, so a resource will be free for day 2011.11.11.

Question: What are options (use of technology) to inform other PM‘s that a resource R1 is free?

The last question is how to save the history of such resource management steps?

All this should work using a technology - not an organizational means.

Regards,

Vygantas

Monday, April 4, 2011 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Vygantas,

Yep, I agree with you, you will not get away with a technical solution alone ;)

In order to answer your other 2 questions:

Q. is it possible to assign permissions in Project Server 2010 so that Project manager can build team using only generic resources? Then Resource manager would assign a named resource instead of generic.

A. Yes is it, in fact quite a view of your customers only allow PM's to assign generic resource and the Team lead then replaces them with Named Resources. You can accomplish this using the Category's within the Server Settings.

Q2. Project manager can use only "Proposed" resources and cannot assign resources as "Commited"?

A2. You can set that a resource is either proposed or commited by default when beeing assigned. In order to accomplish this requirement you will need to do some custom dev, but it is possible ( I have not had to do this one :)

I hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Vygantas,

All very good questions, but I am not sure if you like the answer :) Firstly you should not assume that Project Server does Resource Management for your, Project Server simply displays the inforamtion which is maintained by your users. The actual decission still needs to be made by a user, not a system.

Here are the answer to your question:

1. The user cannot assign a resource "exclusivally", however the user can utilsed the "Commit" and "Proposed" functionality. Having said this only because the resource is commited, does not automatically mean that the resource cant be assigned to another project. It could very well be that the user needs to work overtime which means that Project Server always allows users to be overutilised. Should you not want that, you would need to custom develop an event not to allow this. My recommendation is the introduction of a process.

2. Out of the Box you will not get any notification, I believe that this is sensible. How should the system know when to send an email? imagine an email is sent every time a resource is available. You would probably have many emails in your inbox. A suggestion I have is to generate an exeption report that a user can run to see if a resource is over or under allocated. The Resource Center already gives you some kind of view. However, technically you would have to develop an event handler to cover this request. This could send an email to a user in case of taken an assignment of a schedule.

3. You canot save Resource Management history in Project Server. The only way to do this is to custom develop something like a "snapthot" functionality. Please note not even Baselining does save Resource Assignments. Sorry to say

I hope this helps

Monday, April 4, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Hi Marc,

this is sort of the answer I expected. Technology alone usually doesn't work.

One of the partial solutions would be to have one Resource manager for this department (not necessarily functional manager) and give him permissions to to assign resources.

In such case there are other questions:

- is it possible to assign permissions in Project Server 2010 so that Project manager can build team using only generic resources? Then Resource manager would assign a named resource instead of generic.

- or that Project manager can use only "Proposed" resources and cannot assign resources as "Commited"?

Maybe this could be achieved with a macro on project save?

Any other ideas how to resolve this are appreciated.

Regards,

Vygantas

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Hi Vygantas,

Yep, I agree with you, you will not get away with a technical solution alone ;)

In order to answer your other 2 questions:

Q. is it possible to assign permissions in Project Server 2010 so that Project manager can build team using only generic resources? Then Resource manager would assign a named resource instead of generic.

A. Yes is it, in fact quite a view of your customers only allow PM's to assign generic resource and the Team lead then replaces them with Named Resources. You can accomplish this using the Category's within the Server Settings.

Q2. Project manager can use only "Proposed" resources and cannot assign resources as "Commited"?

A2. You can set that a resource is either proposed or commited by default when beeing assigned. In order to accomplish this requirement you will need to do some custom dev, but it is possible ( I have not had to do this one :)

I hope this helps

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Thank you, Marc.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:50 AM