Backup fails with new external drive & backup configuartion in accessible RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new Tough Drive 320Gb to replace an earler smaller Tough Drive I had been using for backups.

I connected it and it works very well for file transfer and it is visible in My Computer.

I tried to do a new backup using One Care it said the F: drive was not connected, to connect it and retry.

After a few trys, including restarting my computer, One Care could still not detect the new Tough Drive.

I decided to try reconguring the backup, I got an error message saying

"To change your backup configuration, One Care needs to connect to the Internet. To view your current configutaion without making changes, click 'OK'. Otherwise, click 'Cancel', check your connnection, and then try configuring backup again."  

However, I am connected to the internet, and One Care is updating virus and spyware definitions via it.

I am stuck.

Any helpful guidance would be appreciated.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:09 AM

Answers

• I don't know if this will be helpful, but for what it's worth:  I never got the exact error message you did, but I had the same problem when I switched between two different external drives.  The error message said One Care could nto detect my "G" drive, which is the drive I have configured for my backup.   What I finally discovered by going back into the backup configuration was that there was a "ghost" G drive there that it couldn't detect, but also my new "G" drive was there, and I had to click on "change location" and then highlight my new "G" drive and save that new change.  After that, my laptop and OneCare was able to recognize my new "G" drive and run an automatic backup.   So, perhaps see if you can't go into the backup configuration and do a "change location" and see if your new external drive is showing up and if so, then highlight it, add it and save it as the new location.   Also, you may be getting different responses depending on whether you are trying to make these changes as an Administrator with full permissions or a User.  I thought I had full permissions on both my personal individual user account and the administrator account (I have 3 computers on my OneCare), but it turned out I didn't have full permissions on my own User account, so I had to fix that also.  Good luck!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:46 PM
  • I have now solved this problem by uninstalling OneCare and then re-installing.

This allowed me to access and configure the settings for back-up. 

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:39 PM

All replies

• I don't know if this will be helpful, but for what it's worth:  I never got the exact error message you did, but I had the same problem when I switched between two different external drives.  The error message said One Care could nto detect my "G" drive, which is the drive I have configured for my backup.   What I finally discovered by going back into the backup configuration was that there was a "ghost" G drive there that it couldn't detect, but also my new "G" drive was there, and I had to click on "change location" and then highlight my new "G" drive and save that new change.  After that, my laptop and OneCare was able to recognize my new "G" drive and run an automatic backup.   So, perhaps see if you can't go into the backup configuration and do a "change location" and see if your new external drive is showing up and if so, then highlight it, add it and save it as the new location.   Also, you may be getting different responses depending on whether you are trying to make these changes as an Administrator with full permissions or a User.  I thought I had full permissions on both my personal individual user account and the administrator account (I have 3 computers on my OneCare), but it turned out I didn't have full permissions on my own User account, so I had to fix that also.  Good luck!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:46 PM
  • I have now solved this problem by uninstalling OneCare and then re-installing.

This allowed me to access and configure the settings for back-up. 

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:39 PM
  • The configuration change was the solution for the backup not seeing the new drive as a valid destination, but the reinstall was your "hit it with a hammer" solution to resolve the fact that OneCare complained about not being connected when it was indeed connected. Unfortunately, I don't know why you encountered that secondary problem which prevented you from accessing the configuration for backup. I'm glad that you resolved it, though.

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:26 PM