preparing whs v1 discs for vail upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• i have a 10tb whs v1 system (10x wd 1tb sata drives)

i have just purchased 5 x wd 2tb drives  for storage purposes and another 5 x 2tb for my new vail build and want to get the data off the 1tb units so the update to vail will go without any issues

can i do the following and just transfer the files as instructions below and then when vail is release just put the new 2tb drives onto a client drag the files across and thats it

• In Windows Explorer look for the DATA volume on the former Windows Home Server disk (including the D: drive of the former primary disk), which will usually have gotten a drive letter in the system. After opening this volume in Explorer you should see the hidden folder DE. (Be aware, that in configurations with multiple disks in the server this folder may not exist on each disk or be empty.)
  • Within the folder DE you should find a subfolder shares.
  • This contains parts or all (or none) of the data in the former shared folders or duplicates of this data (if Folder Duplication was selected).
  • Copy this data either to the new server installation by accessing the server shares through the desktop shortcut Shared Folders on server or to another storage location. Do never target the file system of drives belonging to Windows Home Server directly (i.e. d:\shares)!
  • Repeat this for each DATA disk.

so once this is done the 2tb drives have just the files i require and i can then format the old 1tb and then start again with a new whs v1 system from scratch

the 2tb drives will lie in storage with all the v1 data till vail is released and then i can tranfer the files to the vail system which will have 8 x2tb drives all new and waiting patiently

thanks in advance

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:49 AM

All replies

• The stringent warnings against accessing the shares directly (through D:\Shares) are not applicable to Vail.

Do you have Vail installed anywhere? There are a lot of differences; you should probably gain a little experience if you can...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:12 PM
  • ken

i do actually have a vail refresh system built played around a bit but havent used it for storage purposes

just would like to get data from old v1 discs onto new 2tb discs so i can be ready and armed

and also reformat old whs v1 system for my parents

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:34 PM
    just would like to get data from old v1 discs onto new 2tb discs so i can be ready and armed

Personally, I have some robocopy (richcopy, actually) scripts set up that duplicate data from my V1 server to my Vail server. That way I have the same data on both servers.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Ken,

Been using Richcopy for a few months now.  I've been having a few problems getting data transferred between the WHS's.  I have to do one share at a time.  If your script(s) can do the whole thing at once, would you mind sharing them?

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

Personally, I have some robocopy (richcopy, actually) scripts set up that duplicate data from my V1 server to my Vail server. That way I have the same data on both servers.

BullDawg
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:24 PM
  • You do one share at a time. Or I do, anyway. :) I have them run at different times, offset enough to allow for a normal load of updates on the V1 production server to propagate to Vail. In one case (a book/CD/video database), the duplication runs backward, from Vail to the V1 server.

You can bundle them all up in a single batch file and schedule that if you want.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:48 PM
  • Okay, that's basically the way I do it.  Was just wondering if it were possible to do all the shares in one Richcopy operation.  If I do more than one share, it errors immediately.

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

You do one share at a time. Or I do, anyway. :) I have them run at different times, offset enough to allow for a normal load of updates on the V1 production server to propagate to Vail. In one case (a book/CD/video database), the duplication runs backward, from Vail to the V1 server.

You can bundle them all up in a single batch file and schedule that if you want.

BullDawg
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:00 AM