WHS 2nd Generation RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone have any ideas how the 2nd generation WHS will breakaway from the first?  New features?  What are people expecting to see different? 
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:33 AM

Answers

• You're asking about a product that Microsoft hasn't made any public announcements about. Assuming A) Microsoft has shown a hypothetical future version of WHS to anyone and B) anyone here has seen it, they will be under NDA and won't be talking about it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:05 AM

All replies

• You're asking about a product that Microsoft hasn't made any public announcements about. Assuming A) Microsoft has shown a hypothetical future version of WHS to anyone and B) anyone here has seen it, they will be under NDA and won't be talking about it.
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:05 AM
  • I guess really what I was looking for was what users expected or might like to see if an improvement is made with a new generation product.  I was not looking for anyone to breach trust.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 5:56 AM
  • well,  myself would like to see

1. easy vpn access for remote backups when not at home or for  distant family members
        ( have broken my server a few tiems tryign to get this to work.. hamachi being the best option  is way too slow  as compared to a direct vpn)

2. an account the xbox360 or linkys or whatever media extenders can use that does not by default allow everyone ability to browse shares..  ( as a media extender it shoudl talk to the media server and get its access there as opposed to fileshares that the network can browse ) ( vista does this to an xbox60 with a 4 digit setup code)

3.  included website templates for user blogs or users private diaries.  ( blogs are the thing...)

4. a peer to peer client embedded in the  home server connector software  that  helps you sync folders and exclude them from backups as they would be backed up by synced to a folder on teh network or shared between computers..  ( kinda likes msn's foldershare but more selective) ( would be handy for  syncronising files between palm pilots and mp3 players and  in general  keep the documents folder syncronised to teh server whenever you reboot)

5.  umm  a working windows home server windows live onecare client that allows you to centrally control  the windows live onecare computers connected to the server ( onecare allows 3 computers but i have yet to get the WHS version of it to even run on the WHS and as best i can tell your 3rd licence likely wont work with it)

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Friday, December 19, 2008 7:38 AM
  • It's highly unlikely that One Care would be extended to WHS, particularly as it's being discontinued next year!
    It would appear that Microsoft reckon they cannot compete with 3rd Party offerings, so I wouldn't see them spending too much time doing that sort of thing in the future.

There are already a number of third party utilities for web site and blogs etc., so again, I would have thought that from a WHS Team point of view, there really isn't any great pressure to include.

Not too sure why you think Hamachi is too slow, we've been using it for well over a year, to back up laptops that are away at school and have never been troubled by anything - it just works - as long as the kids remember to plug their computer in to recharge!

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:30 AM
  • well thats good to know since we jsut bought another oncare licence package..

any advice on a good unobtrusive av program  that does what onecare does?

hamachi : do you have a licence on each computer running it or just a lic. on the server box ?

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Friday, December 19, 2008 10:57 PM
  • OneCare is being discontinued in favor of a smaller more slim product called "Morro."  Morro should entail only the 'security' components of One Care.  This appears to be more of a marketing move than development one.  One Care is being stripped of it's "tune up" & backup functionality and only do virus, trojan, malware cleanup & prevention.

In addition Morro appears to be free as well.  I know nothing of the WHS support for it.

The other Microsoft product is Forefront (sort of an enterprise OneCare).  As with OneCare, I have no idea how it relates to WHS. :P

Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:19 AM
  • Forefront doesn't relate to WHS. It's an enterprise security suite; as such it really has no place in the average home. In addition, I feel pretty confident in saying that it's unlikely to be supported on WHS, even though I haven't seen a statement from Microsoft to that effect. :)

Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:45 PM