none
Create Software Installation GPO for a Deployment/Updating Widget... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm wondering if this is possible.  I would like to create a widget that end users will utilize to push our software out to the desired users in an enterprise.  Basically I would like users to browse to our .msi package to be installed, Select Assign or Publish, select users/groups for deployment, etc.

The "Uninstall this application when it falls out of the scope of management" option will be forced.

I will also be using the Modifications tab in the Advanced options to apply language transforms (.mst's) as well, but that isn't important for first pass I guess.

It is yet to be determined if we actually need to code a widget to do this or if documentation of the steps will be adequate.  The thinking is that we code something that will only allow the installation of our Client software and user's wouldn't actually be exposed to the GPO settings, thus possibly mitigating the potential for user error.

Any pointers to information would be appreciated!

Monday, October 16, 2017 8:43 PM

All replies

• Your users will need local admin right to install anything. So if most of users in your organization are instructed to be set as "standard user", you'll need some form of service to install the packages.

And Microsoft got you covered. You can follow the instructions to install/update other packages via WSUS.

• Edited by cheong00 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:01 AM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:56 AM
  • I'm a bit confused as to why users would need admin rights if the install package is to be deployed via GPO. 

If you are referring to admin rights to install this hopefully soon to be created widget, that is understood.  The widget would be installed by an Admin in one central location.

Also, this widget is not for in-house use, but for distribution to a customer base.  They may not have or be using SCCM.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:38 PM
  • Hi NitLions,

You can try ClickOnce tool to deploy, I believe it might have the feature you are looking for.

ClickOnce Security and Deployment

Install ClickOnce with Group Policy Software Installation

All You Need Is One – A ClickOnce Love Story

Thanks,
    Sabah Shariq

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:58 PM
  • Thanks for the info.

We have no problem authoring the .msi and know we can deploy that via GPO.  The question really surrounds creating a .NET widget to help creating the GPO settings that are specific to the needs to deploy our package.

In other words, we would like to code a fool-proof widget that will help users set up a Group Policy to deploy our .msi package.

I have documented how to deploy our legacy app via Group Policy and maybe that will be acceptable to present to users of our new software.

I will take the information from the GP Software Installation link you provided and match that against our current doc to see how it compares.

Hopefully I can still code some rudimentary widget to get the job done for our users.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 8:37 PM
  • Okay, I should be more specific. I mean you need admin right to install anything in you "Program Files"  and "Windows" folders. If you don't need that, and don't need third party component that requires you to install them into GAC, it should be fine to get it installed with standard user right.

To create such widget, you'll need to create application that runs all steps up to "Publish a package" here, with occasion help of BrowseForGPO() API because it seems there's no API that allow you to directly manipulate GPO rules. After you package is deployed/published, you can use InstallApplication() API to install the .msi package to domain members. (This page also contains instructions to uninstall applications)

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:40 AM
  • Thanks for the info on the GPO 'stuff'.

As far as the Admin Rights question, yes, our app will require admin rights, but that is the whole point of installing through Group Policy, no?  It's like blessing the install as OK and actual users will have the software available the next time they log in after a GPO refresh.

It's been a while since I wrote the aforementioned doc, and I'm not sure how many end users are actually deploying our current software via GP, but I don't recall having rights issues when playing around with it at that time.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:51 PM
  • That's right. GPClient is installed as service that runs on LocalSystem right, so it should have no problem installing software that distributed with GPO.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have way to let you know how many machines got the software installed, or sometimes more importantly, how many machines does not have latest update installed. That's why I initially suggested to use WSUS to help deployment instead. It'll give you more granular control to the rollout and maintenance process.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:35 AM
  • Ah, OK.  At this point, I'm not too concerned with tracking machines and versions, but that is something to consider.  I will check on WSUS.  It may provide good information and alternative means for end users.

THANKS for your help!!

Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:16 PM

• Hi   NitLions,

thanks for posting here.

The Visual C# discuss and ask the C# programming language, IDE, libraries, samples and tools. For your case about Windows Install and deploy. You can go to the ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum and ask some question about Install and deploy.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:00 AM