Problem at the end of installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody who is reading at this. I recently bought a Shuttle K45 PC in the intention of building a Home Server, at mentionned in this site: http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2008/04/build-green-400-windows-home-server_2871.html I did all that's said in the article, but at the very end, where I'm supposed to decide what will be the name on my server, who will be the users, passwords, etc. I hit a wall. A Welcome screen is waiting for me, with only a Next button, so I click on it, and a error screen appears to me. On it I see: An error occured in Windows Home Server Setup. Windows Home Server Setup encountered an error. Click Back to retry. Or, click Next to close the Setup wizard and run Setup again. To restart the Setup wizard, reboot your home server. If the problem continues, please contact Product Support. Can you help me? Perhaps I did a wrong manipulation (I am a french speaking person, so I can do something bad), and I will retry the installation a third and last time tomorrow. Thanks you!
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    sometimes such mysterious errors may be caused by faulty memory. So keep an eye on your server and it's event log to figure any irregular issues early.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:36 PM

All replies

• I forgot to say that I tried many times to reboot the system, and click back also.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:38 AM
  • Hi,
    sometimes such mysterious errors may be caused by faulty memory. So keep an eye on your server and it's event log to figure any irregular issues early.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:36 PM
  • I ran multiple memtest86 tests, and I found no error...
    Should I change my RAM, or at least try with an other RAM chip?

I also took a look to my event log, I found small errors, but a frequent (4 times by reboot) warning from Perflib (event = 2003). I also found errors form SBCore (event = 1013).

What do theses errors mean?

Thanks from Canada!
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Should I change my RAM, or at least try with an other RAM chip?

to be honest, I am not sure. While it is a possibility, which you should keep in your eyes, it is not the only one.
    Perflib errors are not unusual, as an Internet search easy shows, the SBCore events happened also after or only during setup/upgrade?
    Or did you add the WHS as member to a domain? This is not allowed and technically will cause trouble (frequent reboots, not correctly working components etc).
    (Hard to say without the details in the events.)
    Olaf
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:12 PM