New WHS Build: Intel i5 2400 or Q6600? RRS feed

• Question

• I've decided to build a Windows Home Server.  The family has acquired too many laptops and desktops to not be backing things up.  I was planning to build it using a Core i5 2400 CPU, H67MA-E45 LGA 1155 H67 motherboard, 4 gigs of memory and four 2 terabyte WD10EARS (just got it all tonight).  But, I got to thinking that may be overkill when the system that I am using now might be more than enough.  It has a Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU running Win 7 Pro, Gigabyte EP45C-DSR3 motherboard (with 2 gigabit ethernet connections), 4 gigs of memory (DDR2), nVidia 9800GT w/512K video card, a 640 gig system drive, and a Highpoint RocketRaid 2640X4 with four 1 terabyte drives in Raid 5. 

What would you do?  Stay with the original plan to use the i5 setup as the WHS?  Or Use the Q6600 setup for the WHS?  If the latter, I would probably transfer the raid to the i5 system.  Also, If I changed the system drive from the Q6600 to the i5, would it boot up and update its drivers accordingly or would it halt and ask me to call Microsoft because too many parameters were changed (drives, video, cpu, etc.)?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:22 AM

All replies

• Either one of the hardware configurations exceeds the minimum requirements for a home server. The i5 would be more energy efficient and require less cooling (more quiet). If you sell your old hardware now, while it is still worth something, you could build your i5 for a little money out of your pocket. I'm waiting til February and will update my WHS to the i3 Sandybridge .

I don't think WHS is a fully plug and play where you install and remove hardware, besides hard drives. I'm planning on a fresh install.

Friday, January 28, 2011 12:05 PM