New problem with one care RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using one care for 11 months now with flawless operation....  yesterday out of the blue,   the firewall started turning itself off arbitrarily throughout the day, it allowed me to turn it back on, but within 30 minutes would be turned off again.  Also, Windows security Center is reporting the virus protection provided by one care  is no longer supported by Windows.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this?  I've done the usual updates and reinstall but that is about all  I have done.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:39 AM

Answers

• See this thread: 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/297455ff-0484-4dd6-9627-ca1b0e30b015

if your OneCare status is green, the above thread contains your answer.

If your OneCare status is red and the OneCare firewall is shutting off, in addition to the Security Center alerting, you have another problem, but I suspect you are seeing the above issue. OneCare has its own firewall and the Windows firewall will be turned off by OneCare to prevent conflicts.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:27 AM

All replies

• See this thread: 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/297455ff-0484-4dd6-9627-ca1b0e30b015

if your OneCare status is green, the above thread contains your answer.

If your OneCare status is red and the OneCare firewall is shutting off, in addition to the Security Center alerting, you have another problem, but I suspect you are seeing the above issue. OneCare has its own firewall and the Windows firewall will be turned off by OneCare to prevent conflicts.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:27 AM
  •  Steve,

The above thread seems to pertain to the malware within one care not being compatible with Windows security.

However, I don't see where it's mentioning anything about the firewall arbitrarily turning off within the security Center.

This the same issue or do other actions need to be taken to correct this?

Thanks
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:54 PM
  • It refers to all of the security provided by OneCare and not communicated to the Windows Security Center.
    OneCare has its own firewall and the Windows Firewall is turned off by OneCare. The Windows Security center is not where you turn the OneCare firewall or or off from.
    So, if your OneCare is in green/good status, but you have a red shield with a white x in the system tray, and opening the Windows Security Center shows a variety of protection being off, you have the same issue. Either update Vista to SP2 or turn off the alerting in the Security Center and let OneCare notify you of issues.
    -steve
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:15 PM