Network method affects availability of home server RRS feed

• Question

• My network consists of a broadband cable modem connected to a Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router with a desktop PC connected directly to the router.  I am backing up that PC and plus another desktop and notebook that connect wirelessly to the network.  The home server is connected to the network using a powerline adapter from netgear (XETB1001).  All the client PCs are Vista Home Premium.

The above setup is working fine so, of course, I want to change something.  I have an extra powerline adapter (same model as above) and I decided to try and switch my second desktop PC to the powerline rather than the current wireless setup.  If I do that the PC can no longer see the home server on the network.  However, the other desktop PC connected to the router and the wireless notebook are still visible in the network connection sharing center.  The internet connection also works fine with powerline adapter connected to the PC.  Any ideas how I can get the client PC to see that home server with a powerline connection??

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:35 PM

Answers

• This problem is solved.  After pinging the connection over the powerline adapter I found that I did have a connection but a poor connection  -- consistently 50% packet loss.  I had another outlet relatively close and tried using that outlet.  Pinging from that outlet now results in no packet loss and the home server shows up just fine on the network.  Moral of the story -- don't assume you don't have a connection just because a machine does not show up in the network and sharing center and don't assume your powerline connection is great just because the powerline adapter software utility shows a solid connection -- there may be noise issues going on.
    • Marked as answer by noscam Friday, September 4, 2009 1:17 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 1:16 AM