User Account Control RRS feed

• Question

• How can i turn off user account control: My computer is not shared: Having problem with Windows Live OneCare and mayby this will correct it:
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:01 PM

Answers

• Turning off UAC should have no bearing on OneCare. What problems are you facing with OneCare?

To turn off UAC, Control Panel/User Accounts/Turn User Account Control On or Off.

I recomemend leaving it on. This setting has nothing to do with a shared PC, it involves protecting the system from processes that attempt to change settings and take actions that should require elevated privileges.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:15 PM

All replies

• Turning off UAC should have no bearing on OneCare. What problems are you facing with OneCare?

To turn off UAC, Control Panel/User Accounts/Turn User Account Control On or Off.

I recomemend leaving it on. This setting has nothing to do with a shared PC, it involves protecting the system from processes that attempt to change settings and take actions that should require elevated privileges.

-steve
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Hi Stephen,
    I feel i must give up on this or download another antivirus. Not too savy on computers:
    INF Install Failure. Reason: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
    P/s Would need clear instruction on resolving the problem.  Tom.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Hi Stephen,
    I feel i must give up on this or download another antivirus. Not too savy on computers:
    INF Install Failure. Reason: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
    P/s Would need clear instruction on resolving the problem.  Tom.

Tom, support can help you:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:19 PM