Money 2005 MBF backup problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Due of hard PC problems I had to reinstall Windows 7.

After Installation of the same Microsoft Money 2005 I'm not able to recover my old money files. I had 8mb SBF backup file which I copied to disk D before formatting the disk C.

Unfortunately I'm not able to launch that file. Here is what I do:

1) Launching sbf file which was backuping itself

2) They ask me for name for the file, I let it to be "C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\msmoney.mny" and I click "restore"

3) asked for password I type it

4) POOF, error appears saying that:

it is impossible to find file "C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\msmoney.mny" or to open it because it's propably read only file or you don't have rights of modifing it or also your drive is secured from saving

If you have choosen file which is correct but you may not access it and click OK and open the newest save file.

If the file is opened in another application, close it and then click OK to try again"

I'll just add that file should be okay (I can't backup any sbf files...), they arent read only, disk is OK, etc.

5) I'm having wizard like I would create new account

6) After I complete the wizard, the account is clean without my data...

I hope you can help me with retreiving my backup file because it is really important for me.

Thank you for all answer and excuse my poor english.

P.S. I also have mny file which was in the same My documents folder

P.S.S. I'm using the french Microsoft Money 2005 v. 14.0.0.805 (that's said in properties of msmoney.exe

P.S.S.S. I will just add that before I had 64 bit version of Windows 7, now I have 32 bit.
    • Edited by Piaer Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:31 PM

Answers

• There is a good answer!

Save copies of your *.mny and *.mbf files onto other media, as a safety action.

Go to the first post in this forum, and find the link to install the updated French version of Money 2005. This will give, I think version 14.0.120.1105.

Then either open your recent *.mny file or your *.mbf file. If you use *.mbf, do not restore to the filename that was remembered in the backup. Instead, BROWSE to your Documents folder, and choose a new name for your Money file. That way a possible difference in folder names will not matter.

• Proposed as answer by Cal LearnerModerator Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Piaer Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:49 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:36 PM

All replies

• There is a good answer!

Save copies of your *.mny and *.mbf files onto other media, as a safety action.

Go to the first post in this forum, and find the link to install the updated French version of Money 2005. This will give, I think version 14.0.120.1105.

Then either open your recent *.mny file or your *.mbf file. If you use *.mbf, do not restore to the filename that was remembered in the backup. Instead, BROWSE to your Documents folder, and choose a new name for your Money file. That way a possible difference in folder names will not matter.

• Proposed as answer by Cal LearnerModerator Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Piaer Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:49 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:36 PM
  • Hello Big Cal Learner !!!

Big thanks for your answer, you really ROCK !! YOu do not know how happy I am !

I'll just add that somewhere in google I saw proposition of installing this file but... The file from the first post redirects to main site, and searching for the file on the servers of MS gives an error that file is not available...

Anyway, I found this file on google and all works now!

T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U !!!

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:49 AM