Raid Options RRS feed

• General discussion

• Although I really like the Drive configuration that WHS has it would be nice to be able to setup other raid options.  I am sure that a bunch of us that are more on the power user side have been and are used to using RAID 5,6.  I like that the there is a somewhat built in raid 1 on WHS (and it is a great configuration).  If you install 4, 500 gig drives, you have 2TB, with it mirroring everything you really only get 1TB of storage.  With raid 5 you would get 1.5TB of storage.   Would be Nice to have a little more drive control keeping in mind that a lot of users that want storage use RAID controllers.

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:11 PM

All replies

• Scott, it's certainly possible to use a RAID array in WHS. It shouldn't even be particularly difficult to get it to boot from an array (though I haven't done so) as long as you have the appropriate drivers and hardware. "Not supported" doesn't mean "doesn't work."

Microsoft's decision to primarily target the technically unsophisticated consumer market is, I think, a good one. Enthusiasts and developers are relatively rare, and at least some of us don't want to be bothered with system administration tasks at home, because we spend our day on them now. Smile

Given the primary target, not including RAID is the right thing to do. RAID is not easy for the unsophisticated user to understand well enough to configure, and (unless you spend a lot on the HBA) isn't expandable.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 3:29 PM
  • Why not include LVM (Logical Volume Management) in the setup phase? This is pretty much a standard on new Linux distributions and makes it a cinch to setup RAID arrays that aren't even on a controller. I have an older NCR server with 8 SCSI drives, and with the onboard Adaptec SCSI controller (not a RAID controller, btw), the installer only sees one 19.2gb drive at a time and decides there's not enough space to install. I've actually had Server 2003 on this machine before, and setup dynamic volumes with the remaining 7 drives, so I know it works. I think the installer is asking for a little much in the way of space for the initial install. If MWHS is based on Server 2003, how could it possibly need that much space? Isn't there any options to enable the other drives after it's setup? Something to look into... In the meantime NAS is looking like a pretty good alternative. 32gb. will hold quite a bit of music and movies.

D. Land
    Land Computer Service
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 10:29 PM