Problem when deploying solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I faced a problem when tried to deploy a new version of my managed solution.

A managed solution cannot overwrite the Attribute component with Id <Id> ... which has an unmanaged base instance.

The problem is that the attribute is a field of my custom entity which was previously delivered with earlier version of the solution (and of course still exists in the new version I wanna deploy)

The main thing that it's a default field - 'exchangerate' which can't be removed from the base unmanaged solution as some internet articles suggest.

Therefore I have two questions

1) Did this happen because someone changed something with regards to this field in the base solution?

2) How do I fix the problem? When updating, we use a temp solution to get rid of changed/removed fields.  Would removing this field from this temp solution but keeping it in the result solution help?

Thanks!

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

These kind of problems happen if the managed solution is trying to change some aspect of the field. There really shouldn't be any differences between the two since this field is not customisable other than the label and searchable flag.

I suggest you compare this field to check that it is identical in the org (precision, min/max etc) that you've exported the managed solution from and the target system. Also check that no one has made any unsupported changes to the database/metadata.

hth

Scott Durow
    Blog www.develop1.net    Follow Me
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:14 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I currently see only one record when searching by attribute Id in MetadataSchema.Attribute... while doing the same on my test machine (with the same structure) I see two fields.. one of them apparently belongs to managed and another to base unmanaged solution.

Does this mean that something went wrong on the target machine?

Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:38 AM
  • That doesn't sound right. Can you delete the managed solution and re-deploy. This would delete any data you have in managed entities/attributes.

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:42 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

How did you get on with this?

Scott Durow
    Rockstar365

Friday, June 21, 2013 8:39 AM
    Answerer