CPU update RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM license. Will i be able to update my current Intel E8500 CPU to an Intel QX9650 without having to buy another license?

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hello uptodate,

Good Question. OEM Licenses only allow you to use Vista on computer that it was originally first installed on. Changing out a Motherboard is the only thing that causes a computer becomes a Different computer. So if you were changing out your Motherboard, you would no longer be licensed to use the same copy of Vista (the only exeption to this is if a Motherboard was changed out due to Warranty coverage)

So yes, you Will still be licensed to use your current copy of Vista, even after you change to the new CPU.

(Nice CPU, by the way )

Please Note: After changing out the CPU, you may be required to Reactivate Vista. You should be able to do so over the Internet, but if that fails, just Activate by Phone and you should be fine.

Thanks for the question,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:51 PM

All replies

• Yes.

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Hello uptodate,

Good Question. OEM Licenses only allow you to use Vista on computer that it was originally first installed on. Changing out a Motherboard is the only thing that causes a computer becomes a Different computer. So if you were changing out your Motherboard, you would no longer be licensed to use the same copy of Vista (the only exeption to this is if a Motherboard was changed out due to Warranty coverage)

So yes, you Will still be licensed to use your current copy of Vista, even after you change to the new CPU.

(Nice CPU, by the way )

Please Note: After changing out the CPU, you may be required to Reactivate Vista. You should be able to do so over the Internet, but if that fails, just Activate by Phone and you should be fine.

Thanks for the question,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Thanks for the answers!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:00 AM