Live Writer Configuration Issue

• I recently redireced my domain name and set up a new web site through Windows Live Office. Yesterday I set up my blog on the new web site and everything is going great. When I write the blog entry in my Live Space it shows up on my web site. I decided to do one better and downloaded Live Writer. Everything installed and I have all of the precursors necessary - .NET and SQL Server 5, etc are all present and working as they should. but when I tried to finish the setup for Live Writer, it asked for my Live ID and password, which I provided and clicked on the Next button. That's when it threw an error:

"Unable to Cast Com Object of Type 'System._ComObject' to interface type 'mshtml.IHTMLELEMENT'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{3050f1ff-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}' failed due to the following error: Library not registered.

(Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002801D (TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED))

So what do I do now?

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:56 PM

All replies

• You can email your LOG file to

It sounds like you've a unregistered DLL - developers could tell you which one.

I hope this helps...

• Proposed as answer by lehenryjr Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:35 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Some other piece of software has corrupted your IE component registration. The easiest way to fix this is to reinstall IE.
    Windows Live Writer Developer
    Friday, April 30, 2010 3:10 AM