Windows Genuine Advantage Notification - Beta Program Forced Onto Users? RRS feed

• General discussion

• The automatic update feature of Windows XP notifies me that it wants to install a "pre-release" version of the WGA Notification software on my machine.  In other words, Microsoft wants me to be a guinea pig for their software trials, and , oh by the way, sign this ridiculously one-sided end user agreement that strips my rights away and holds MS harmless.

Why is Microsoft distributing beta software willy-nilly to its customers without adequate warning?

Why can't I get the notice out of the automatic update queue now that I have decided not to provide free testing services to Microsoft?

Another reason to hope this software monopoly can be  broken.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:32 PM

All replies

• 1. When will this be available in final commercial version (i.e., non-beta)?

2. Our university's offical policy is to not install and/or use any beta products (e.g., google news and WGA are all beta and are forbidden. Unitl the offical release of WGA, will I contiue to receive Windows updates that are in final commercial versions?

Quote form the EULA:

MICROSOFT PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS

MICROSOFT WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE VALIDATION TOOL

These license terms are an agreement between Microsoft Corporation (or based on where you live, one of its affiliates) and you. Please read them. They apply to the pre-release software named above, which includes the media on which you received it, if any. ...

This software is a pre-release version of the software intended to update the technological measures in Windows XP which are designed to prevent unlicensed use of Windows XP....

By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software.

4. PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE. This software is a pre-release version. It may not work the way a final version of the software will. We may change it for the final, commercial version. We also may not release a commercial version.

8. SUPPORT SERVICES. Because this software is "as is," we may not provide support services for it

===

My question has been unanswered for so long that I guess Microsoft was right in saying. "...we may not provide support services for it."

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:33 PM