OneCare Backup Limitations - How to get around RRS feed

• General discussion

• Since upgrading from version 1x to 2 I noticed a couple of issues.

1) In version 2 it doesn't look like I can specify which folders I want to backup only what I want to exclude. Is this correct? If so this is a poor "upgrade". I want to manage the specific files and folders I want to backup not have OC backup my entire system then have to exclude specific folders. I understand MS is trying to make this easy but c'mon, put an advanced button on there and let me specify what I want backed up.

2) Still no method to manage backup sets? It would seem that there should be some method to have OneCare purge old backups. I don't know how many people have unlimited drive space but everyone will run into the full disc problem if their backing up to a hard drive. Then they have to go in and deal with permissions on folders and manually delete files and folders that are named "do not delete". This is counter-intuitive. On one hand MS wants an easy to use interface but then the user reaches the point where they have to become a power user and delete old backup sets in explorer manually. This simply does not make sense and I can't believe this is set up this way.

I would prefer the ability to select my backup options as follows:

1) How about a feature that allows you to backup x-number of days and the backups prior to that get automatically deleted on the new backup?

or

2) A feature that will backup x amount of data based on the size of the drive space. For instance if I specify I want to use the entire drive and it is 50G and it is nearly full and the next backup will take 5G, OC will delete the oldest 5G to make room for the new. Therefore it will only purge the oldest data IF the drive space has reached is maximum.

or

3) Have it configured as it currently is but allow me to purge old backups - through one care, not manually.

or

Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:20 PM

All replies

• I agree totally with Joe. We need to be able to do these simple tasks the way we want\need to do them.

This cannot be too difficult for MS to finagle the program to do what we would like. Thanks Joe, very articulate and and concise!

Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:49 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions, Joe.

Note that the concept of include/exclude was removed from 2.0 backup. The exclude function is there to add locations and files not to scan for backup, but since the backup has always been based on type, the include option was actually a broken "back door" to allow you to specify all files within a folder, ignoring the file types filter.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Hi Steve ....

I would like to echo the sentiments of Joe & Roland above.  Currently, my PC is 89 GB and the backup folder on a network mapped drive, is at 210 GB.  The server has a 360 GB drive and will soon be dedicated entirely to my PC backups.  I realize that this is the result of, and the nature of incremental backups, and so there is no easy way to have a size limit using FIFO on the backup sets.

However, Microsoft has to give us the means to manage these BU's a little better than what is provided through both OneCare and, the built-in Vista B/U software.

Thanks,

Bob
    Friday, August 14, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Hello, Bob. Backup in Windows 7 is a sight better than what is available in Vista. As for OneCare, since it is at end of life, it won't be changed to remove the limitations discussed here. Personally, I recommend seeking alternative 3rd party backup solutions if you will remain with Vista. I've successfully used Acronis True Image for full image based backup. www.acronis.com Of course, there are many other options.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:07 AM
  • So how does one add files for backup from a drive other than one lettered "C:"?  Thanks!
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:35 AM
  • If the drive you wish to backup is internal to your computer, you can backup files from that drive. External and network drives are not valid sources for files to backup from.
    When you create of modify your backup plan, when you select the "what" to backup, you specify the file types to backup. Once it searched your drive, you can click on the exclusions option to remove folders from being checked and it will rescan your PC and exclude that location. In the exclusion dialog you will see that the internal drive or drives are selected or not selected as sources to scan. If an external drive is shown as not selected, place a check mark next to the drive letter and the drive will be scanned for files to backup. All internal drives should typically already be included in the initial check for files.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:16 PM