Power Pack 1 Setup Error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install Power Pack 1 on my fully up-to-date WHS. I've followed the instructions in the Public Beta Release ver. 0.9 exactly, and every time I try to run the WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe file, it unpacks the files, then give me a "KB44289 Setup Error: This Update can only be installed once server setup has completed" dialog box...then the setup routine stops and kicks me back to the Windows Home Server Admin Console. I've tried restarting the server and all the computers on the network. Same error, every time. Anyone else getting this, or have gotten it and worked it out?

Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:27 PM

Answers

• Had the same problem above.  See below as to how I resolved it.

This was caused by an error in the wizard that runs the first time the system boots up after the final installation of whs.  The wizard runs on startup, you click Next and it displays a generic error.  You close it.  Happened a number of times after every reboot, but eventually went away.  However, ran into your problem above when trying to upgrade to PP1.

Here's how I resolved it: edit the registry.

Start | Run | regedit

Browse to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\install

Edit the following key by double clicking on it:

OOBE

Change the value from "1" to "0" and click OK.

Close the registry and then try installing PP1.

Good Luck!

-Drew

p.s. editing the registry can be dangerous, so make sur you know what you are doing.  That being said, this edit is very minor and straight forward.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:31 AM

All replies

• Moved to the Power Pack 1 Beta Forum.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:46 PM
  • Did you experience a problem when you initially installed WHS, where the OOBE (Welcome/final setup) application restarted over and over, until you took manual action to disable a service or edit the registry? If so, your server may not have been fully set up. If this is the case, your best bet is probably a server reinstallation (which will preserve the files in your shares). It will be an option in addition to new installation during the initial graphical portion of setup (before the reboot into text mode setup for Windows Server 2003). If you don't get that option, don't proceed until you've backed up your shares to other storage, because new installation will erase all data on all drives in the server.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 4:02 PM
  • I'm gettng the same error except the explanation of it says "The version of Windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install.".  Performing a manual update from the console reports there are no updates available - already have the latest installed.  Has there been a Windows update in the last week after PP1 was released that's incompatible with it?

WHS versions on the server are 6.0.1500.6 except for Backup and Restore, and Storage Manager which are 6.0.1500.8.

Wassup with this bug?
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Enerygrocks

You are not running PP1 - the version numbers should be ignificantly higher. I suggest you try installing PP1 again.

Andrew

Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:33 PM

• Andrew,

This error is received trying to install the PP1 exe file for the first time - it does all of its extraction and then comes up with this error.  I tried installing PP1 at least 4 times - same error every time.

If you install the alpha version, the manual says you need to uninstall it first, so that's doesn't make sense to perform either.  The manual is written for either - if there are later versions HP Update should find and install them.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 9:06 PM
  •  energyrocks wrote:
    Andrew,

This error is received trying to install the PP1 exe file for the first time - it does all of its extraction and then comes up with this error.  I tried installing PP1 at least 4 times - same error every time.

If you install the alpha version, the manual says you need to uninstall it first, so that's doesn't make sense to perform either.  The manual is written for either - if there are later versions HP Update should find and install them.

When you first installed WHS, did you have any problems with setup?

Sunday, June 22, 2008 9:32 PM
  • No problems when I first installed WHS (part of it may have been already factory installed - as received on HP's MediaSmart Server) except for minor issues with the router that needed to be configured for the web features it needs.  The initial WHS setup from my PC went fine and its been backing it up ever since.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 12:39 AM
  • Had the same problem above.  See below as to how I resolved it.

This was caused by an error in the wizard that runs the first time the system boots up after the final installation of whs.  The wizard runs on startup, you click Next and it displays a generic error.  You close it.  Happened a number of times after every reboot, but eventually went away.  However, ran into your problem above when trying to upgrade to PP1.

Here's how I resolved it: edit the registry.

Start | Run | regedit

Browse to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\install

Edit the following key by double clicking on it:

OOBE

Change the value from "1" to "0" and click OK.

Close the registry and then try installing PP1.

Good Luck!

-Drew

p.s. editing the registry can be dangerous, so make sur you know what you are doing.  That being said, this edit is very minor and straight forward.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:31 AM
  • I would like to call your attention to the fact that this forum will be closing pretty soon. Please move any conversations you want to continue to the Software or Hardware forum (as appropriate) and link back here.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 4:41 AM