Communicator 2007 on Citrix RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Has anybody expirence with Communicator 2007 Client on a Citrix Server. I mean to run the client also for VoIP and not only for IM?

I'm also happy if you have a whitepaper or something like this.

Greetings and Thanks

Daniel

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 3:58 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Daniel,

About Citrix, i did`t found any withepaper about that, but i think it your server has multimedia resources and the resources are shared with citrix clients, you can do that without problems.

Ih you want, i can send the Supportability Guide OCS. But did`t found any item about Citrix too...

Regards,

Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Communicator is not supported on Citrix.  There is no way to work through the shared sessions for audio and video.  The only viable option is to install the client for IM functionality only.  If you are going to go that route anyway I would simply use CWA.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Can I get a confirmation that no further developments have occurred in this arena since January?  We're actively pursuing such endeavors and would love to see some progress on this.

Can anyone tell me if there have been any advancements with either the Citrix audio processor and/or the Terminal Services infrastructure itself to support voice chat via Communicator through a Citrix ICA connection?

We're using Presentation Server (XenApp) 4.5 on Windows Server 03 with OCS 07 and Communicator 07.

Thanks in advance!!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:00 PM
  • There is currently no support for Audio/Video with Communicator in Citrix... you may want to speak with your Citrix rep as I believe it is something they are looking at/working on (as per our rep)... but I wouldn't expect to see anything here for quite some time. At this time I would only use it in Citrix for text (IM)... also, not officially supported by Microsoft.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:41 PM
  • What if we pared off Citrix?  Is Voice chat available via simple Terminal Services?  I know that in Server 08 you can publish individual apps as Terminal Services programs as opposed to a whole desktop.  Is that supported?  OSC 07 talking to a Communicator 07 client being pushed down through straight Windows Terminal Services?

We may shed some Citrix weight if regular Terminal Services can accomplish this task.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Only text based communication is supported on Terminal Services/Citrix

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951152/en-us

The problem is that you can receive audio but there is no way to send audio

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940789/en-us

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:59 PM
  • I thank you for your input and if I find any further information myself, I'll be sure to post in this location so others may benefit from this thread as well.  I do, however, have an issue with the first KB in your post.  951152 lumps in Live Meeting with this inherent limitation of Communicator.  We've found that Microsoft's 'unsupported' does not necessarily mean 'unfunctioning'.  We're able to utilize Live Meeting both as a part of Communicator and stand alone to share screens, applications, white boards, etc.  We were somewhat hoping that the voice capabilities fell under the same lack of support.

Any updates, further information, alternatives, etc. would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ken

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:26 PM