after reinstallation no network connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After i reinstalled WHS software on the server (not a new installation but a reinstallation) i can not connect to my network. When i go to networkconnections there is none. When i try to make a networkconnection it says that there is already one. I've already restarted the server, my modem to try to get an ip address, but without networkconnection these thinks won't help of course. Any idea how i can get my LAN working?

Thanks.

Patrick
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:01 AM

Answers

• Try this:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M3N78-EH

click XP as the OS then chipset, download that from global and then unzip it onto your thumb drive.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, April 3, 2009 12:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by wp01 Friday, April 3, 2009 7:52 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

After i reinstalled WHS software on the server (not a new installation but a reinstallation) i can not connect to my network. When i go to networkconnections there is none. When i try to make a networkconnection it says that there is already one. I've already restarted the server, my modem to try to get an ip address, but without networkconnection these thinks won't help of course. Any idea how i can get my LAN working?

Thanks.

Patrick
    First, did you install the drivers for your NIC?  When you go to Device Manager, does it show your NIC as working properly?  Can you post an ipconfig /all of your server as well as one of your clients?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I see a couple of questionmarks. Also at the ethernet controller. This should be the one?
    I put the disc of the Asus motherboard in the drive, but could not find the driver.

How do i post an ipconfig/all here?

Thanks.

Patrick
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I see a couple of questionmarks. Also at the ethernet controller. This should be the one?

Yep, you're missing your NIC driver.

I put the disc of the Asus motherboard in the drive, but could not find the driver.

You might need to check the Asus website for a NIC driver for Windows Server 2003 (the underlying OS).  If they don't have one, you can try the XP driver, but there's no guarantee it will work.

How do i post an ipconfig/all here?

Considering you're missing your NIC driver, I don't think you need to post an ipconfig at this point. :)

Thanks.

Patrick
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:30 AM
  • I have really no idea where to look. I've never done this before.

On the motherboard i see it is from Asus and it has number M3N78-EH.

Can you please try to find the driver for me?

Thanks.

Patrick
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:54 AM
  • Try this:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M3N78-EH

click XP as the OS then chipset, download that from global and then unzip it onto your thumb drive.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, April 3, 2009 12:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by wp01 Friday, April 3, 2009 7:52 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:20 AM
  • Thanks but this one could not be installed, unfortunately.
    This one wasn't for Windows Server 2003. I'm done trying and searching and brought it back to the retailer.
    How can Asus design a motherboard with an onboard lan without providing a supporting driver on your website.
    With a normal working PP2 i wouldn't have been in this situation at all. I hope the next update won't cause so much trouble.

I hope the ratailer has more luck.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Patrick
    Friday, April 3, 2009 7:50 PM
  • Thanks but this one could not be installed, unfortunately.
    This one wasn't for Windows Server 2003. I'm done trying and searching and brought it back to the retailer.
    How can Asus design a motherboard with an onboard lan without providing a supporting driver on your website.
    With a normal working PP2 i wouldn't have been in this situation at all. I hope the next update won't cause so much trouble.

I hope the ratailer has more luck.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Patrick
    The problem is you're using a workstation mobo (XP/Vista/7) to act as a server (2003/2008/2008 R2).  What you are seeing is common.  Most devices don't have drivers for server OSes (because most people don't use server OSes in the first place).  I was fortunate that the XP driver worked for my server.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:25 PM