MS money Transferring files RRS feed

• Question

• I had to have my hard drive replaced in my laptop. I have all the files from the old including the MS money files and their backups. I have reloaded MS money (financial suite) back onto my lap top using the same CD I had used previously. I am getting this error message when I try to open the files.

Money can not locate C: etc etc or can not open it, possibly because it is a read only file, or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write-protected. I have checked the permissions of the files and they all seem in order. Can any one help? I think the version of MS money is pretty old, but it the same one I was using before? 

I am in the UK if that makes a difference

• Edited by carvoir Sunday, April 19, 2020 10:24 AM
    Sunday, April 19, 2020 10:23 AM

Answers

• The first thing to do is to make sure that your Money files are in your Documents folder, not in the "Program Files (x86)" folder.  Then, find the most recent Money.mny file and double-click on it to open it.  If that doesn't work, let us know what the error message is.

Another consideration is that the original UK Money 2005, as provided on a CD, needed an update from a Microsoft server that no longer exists.  If your disk is UK Money 2005 (possibly marked copyright 2004) then you need an updated installation file.  Fortunately, it is available through a link in the second "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Let us know if either of these solutions work.   If you need further help, be sure to include your version of Money and the version of your Windows operating system in your reply.

Bill Becker

Sunday, April 19, 2020 3:08 PM

All replies

• The first thing to do is to make sure that your Money files are in your Documents folder, not in the "Program Files (x86)" folder.  Then, find the most recent Money.mny file and double-click on it to open it.  If that doesn't work, let us know what the error message is.

Another consideration is that the original UK Money 2005, as provided on a CD, needed an update from a Microsoft server that no longer exists.  If your disk is UK Money 2005 (possibly marked copyright 2004) then you need an updated installation file.  Fortunately, it is available through a link in the second "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Let us know if either of these solutions work.   If you need further help, be sure to include your version of Money and the version of your Windows operating system in your reply.

Bill Becker

Sunday, April 19, 2020 3:08 PM
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. You are amazing! I had years worth of accounts and hadn't yet finalised this year's accounts so I was getting very worried I was going to have to do the whole year again. THANK YOU!
    Sunday, April 19, 2020 3:52 PM