Troubleshooting Guide RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here are some starting points if you get stuck on the SIP stuff. I would try these steps both before and after deploying your application. (I.e. before you deploy you should hear the "Welcome to OCS" application.)

1.     Have you tried calling your app from a softphone installed on the same machine as Speech Server? (The machine will need a soundcard or USB headset for this.) Does it work? If not:

1.     Did you set the softphone to use different ports from Speech Server?

2.     Did you add it as a trusted SIP peer?

3.     Are you using a softphone that supports TCP rather than UDP? (And have you verified from the logs that the phone is actually using TCP?)

4.     Are you dialing a number in the form sip:foobar@localhost:5060?

5.     If it still doesn’t work follow steps 3 & 4 to get the logs.

2.     Have you tried calling from a softphone installed on a different machine? Does it work? If not:

1.     Did you add exceptions to the firewall on the Speech Server machine for Microsoft.SpeechServer.Tap.exe and w3wp.exe?

2.     Did you add the softphone as a trusted SIP peer?

3.     Are you using a softphone that supports TCP rather than UDP? (And have you verified from the logs that the phone is actually using TCP?)

4.     Are you dialing a number in the form sip:foobar@ipaddress:5060?

5.     If it still doesn’t work follow steps 3 & 4 to get the logs.

3.     Have you looked at the SIP logs on your SIP gateway / SIP proxy / softphone? See below for instructions on how to view logs for sipXphone.

4.     Have you looked at the logs on the Speech Server machine?

1.     Serious errors will be logged to the Windows Event Log.

2.     See the Speech Server docs on how to enable Event Tracing. Make sure “Platform Events” is checked. After making a call remember to click “Start new log file” from the “All tasks” menu in the MMC. This will flush recent events to the ETL file.

3.     To view SIP logs install PublicBetaTmxFileForSpeech.exe from the TAP portal. Follow the instructions contained therein.

sipXphone

sipXphone is free and it supports TCP. I downloaded it from here: http://www.download.com/sipXphone/3000-2349_4-10405204.html. (I don’t know how permanent this link is.) After installing it read the readme in the installation directory. It explains how to activate the webserver which is used to configure sipXphone.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying sipXphone is any good. It just happens to be the first free one I tried that works.

To change the port numbers

1.     Enable the webserver on the phone on e.g., port 8080

2.     Navigate to http://localhost:8080

3.     Username is “admin”, password is blank

4.     Click “Administration” -> “Phone Configuration”

5.     SIP_TCP_PORT is in a box halfway down.

6.     SIP_TLS_PORT is in a box at the bottom.

To view SIP logs

1.     Enable the webserver on the phone on e.g., port 8080

2.     Navigate to http://localhost:8080

3.     Username is “admin”, password is blank

4.     Click “Administration” -> “SIP logs”

5.     Click “Enable SIP Logging”

6.     Make a call

7.     Click “Reload SIP Log”

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:36 PM