It's not stolen...It's a HP COA on a HP Computer! Why failed Validation? RRS feed

• Question

• Why no phone number to call? This is a genuine Coa label on a genuine HP (Compaq S5000V) What do I do? I need my updates!

Phil

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 4:46 PM

Answers

• PaulineTar:

If you've ran the tool and verified that the product key on your system does not match the COA for this computer then you do have options for fixing the issue:

1 - Reinstall Windows so your COA matches your Product Key (install using your COA as the Product Key) - This is the preferred method by Microsoft, as it will be a fresh copy, void of potential hacked binary files and security loops that may have been created to bypass WGA. We know this is usually not the user preference, but it is the safest method.  It is also possible to do a repair installation to add the new product key, though I would advise backing up any data, doing a repair installation should leave programs and other data intact.

2 - WGA is underway to create a tool that will allow you to switch your current invalid/non-genuine Product Key being used to your COA sticker *ONLY*. There's no slated timeline, but it will be soon. This will allow you to change product keys being used without a reinstall.

I hope this helps,

Greg

Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:24 PM

All replies

• Philharley:

Can you download and run this tool, verifiy that the product key listed in the tool log matches your COA sticker? 

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Thanks,

Greg

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 4:50 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem. I ran the tool and they don't match. What happens then. I paid good money for a genuine product from a reputable retailer, with the COA's.
    Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:47 AM
  • PaulineTar:

If you've ran the tool and verified that the product key on your system does not match the COA for this computer then you do have options for fixing the issue:

1 - Reinstall Windows so your COA matches your Product Key (install using your COA as the Product Key) - This is the preferred method by Microsoft, as it will be a fresh copy, void of potential hacked binary files and security loops that may have been created to bypass WGA. We know this is usually not the user preference, but it is the safest method.  It is also possible to do a repair installation to add the new product key, though I would advise backing up any data, doing a repair installation should leave programs and other data intact.

2 - WGA is underway to create a tool that will allow you to switch your current invalid/non-genuine Product Key being used to your COA sticker *ONLY*. There's no slated timeline, but it will be soon. This will allow you to change product keys being used without a reinstall.

I hope this helps,

Greg

Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:24 PM