none
Installing Original XP Home Software RRS feed

• Question

• A technician who worked on this computer (Dell Dimension 2350) installed XP Pro over the factory installed XP home to accommodate his needs.  The owner  is now dealing with validation issues.  XP Home cannot be reinstalled simply by inserting the factory software/utility disc in place of the Pro version due to the original Home version being a later version of software.  I am trying to help them return to their factory settings.  Can someone please guide me or refer me to a process wherein this can be accomplished.  Thank you so very much for your time and expertise.

Diann
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 5:07 PM

Answers

• Ramsey50,

You are correct in that XP Home cannot be installed "over top of" XP Pro.  You will have to backup and offload any valuable data and then do a clean installation of XP Home using the supplied reinstallation CD.

Dells usually have at least one hidden diagnostic partition and newer Dells have an additional hidden partition that contains the data needed to run Dell PC Restore by Symantec, so be sure you don't accidentally delete these partitions.

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:43 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2007 2:23 AM