none
Powershell to check unknown devices and install from a folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to find some powershell code that will go through the unknown devices in device manager and then lookup drivers for them from a specific offline folder.

Im using MDT to deploy windows 10 to a number of different machine models, and sometimes the windows installer doesnt install the drivers, even though they are available in an offline repository.

I end up with 4-5 unknown devices (which vary from machine to machine) and i can right click, update, select the offline folder and it will find the correct driver. however this is time consuming.

Anyone have any idea on how best to use powershell to gather all unknown devices, then proceed to install drivers from a specific folder?

I have found a script that will use windows update to download drivers from microsoft, but i would prefer the offline folder method.

Thanks

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Friday, July 27, 2018 7:53 PM Off-topic
    Friday, May 11, 2018 7:02 AM

All replies

• You should be asking this in the MDT forum.  MDT can allocate specific devices. 

Many devices will only install when detected o n a boot or via a hardware refresh.  If the devices require user intervention, as many do, they cannot be easily installed by a script.  MDT has methods to assist with this with many devices.  Some older devices may be unmanageable.  The MDT froum should have the most info about this.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, May 11, 2018 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for replying. I'm aware MDT can do this, and it has been configured to do so, however for whatever reason it randomly misses drivers. and it varies. For example, on 2 exact same devices, it might find all but 3 devices, on another, it might still have 2 unknown devices. so its not 100% reliable.

however when i do a manual right click, update driver, specify folder (same folder that MDT looks for drivers for), windows finds them immediately.

There are powershell scripts that will enumerate unknown devices, and get drivers from windows update, something like that is what im looking for, however for offline mode.

See example here:

https://superuser.com/questions/1243011/how-to-automatically-update-all-devices-in-device-manager

Thanks

Monday, May 14, 2018 12:02 AM
  • The MDT forum will be better able to explain to you how to overcome your issue with MDT.

It is not the purpose of this forum to find scripts for you.  You can search the Gallery and the PsGsllery for scripts.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, May 14, 2018 12:30 AM