none
HP MSS WHS can't see network. Workgroup not showing up. Lost connection to console. MediaSmart Server. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having a problem with the HP MediaSmart e475.  I was changing the backup schedule of the server to reduce the weeks and days in the backup.  I then rebooted the server (using the button on the back of the server). Now I can't see the workgroup from any of the 5 computers which had previously been working fine.

The lights on the HP MSS are all blue, harddrive lights and network lights.

I can't access the "http://hpserver:55000/enrollid/id.xml" or any of the folders. The "workgroup" does not show up in my network places, only my other network, which shows all computers connected just fine. There goes the router or switch arguement, I think.

I believe it is something to do when I rebooted, the HP MSS comes up and appears normal but isn't on the network.

What to do? Please advise.

PS All computers are running XP PRO SP3. Non are Vista.

Thanks.

Daniel

education is that which remains after one has forgotten everything they learned in school
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:06 PM

Answers

• Daniel_B said:

Can you post the result of ipconfig /all entered in the command prompt on a client and (if you can reach it via remote desktop) the server? Isn't this dangerous to post publicly?

No, since the configuration is done in the most scenarios via NAT - which means, in your internal network are different addresses in use than in an external network.

To check, if your WHS has still assigned a IP address and responds to it you can download a free subnet scanner from here. This will quilckly scan through your subnet, and if you sort by Host Name, your active machines will be listed.

If the system remains invisible, check first the cabling on both ends. Does the network interface on the switch still flicker? What happens, if you swap the network cable?

If this does also not change anything, you may have to perform a server recovery following the manual of the HP system (or ask HP support, if they have an idea, but usually this will also their first idea).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:42 AM

All replies

• Please try running discovery.exe from the folder C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on a client.
    Friday, January 30, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Thanks for your response.    Discovery wasn't able to locate the server. It was rebooted and tried again. No go.

What next?

education is that which remains after one has forgotten everything they learned in school
    Friday, January 30, 2009 8:15 AM
  • Are you still able to connect to the Windows Home Server Console? If not please try the  connector troubleshooter from the Windows Home Server Toolkit

Can you login to your server using remote desktop (on a client do Start, Run, type mstsc.exe, Hit Enter. Computername is hpserver, user is Adminstrator, password is your home server console password)

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

let me add some questions.
    Can you ping the server by it's name or IP address? (If you can't get the IP address you can often check the routers informational pages, other than that there are tools which allow to scan the subnet for active IP addresses.)
    Did the IP address change recently?
    Have you altered the hosts file on a client in the past to overcome previous name resolution problems, so that a changed IP address causes the client no longer to resolve the name correctly?
    Did you "experiment" with the Windows Firewall settings on the Windows Home Server?
    Can you post the result of ipconfig /all entered in the command prompt on a client and (if you can reach it via remote desktop) the server?

Olaf

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:43 AM
  • Hello from the wine country in California,

I'm working on all the thoughts that Brubber and Olaf put together. Thanks.

Here's the results so far on Brubber:

When I tried to log in using mstsc.exe the dialog box said it could not find the server.

The WHS Toolkit produced:

• Cannot connect to the server transport
    • Cannot connect to the server backup
    • Cannot connect to the server internal secure Web services
    • Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (simple page)
    • Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site
    • Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (password hint page)
    • Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page)
    • UPnP discovery failed
    • Cannot connect to the server internal Web services
    • Name resolution failed
    • Cannot ping server by name
    • A firewall product is found on the home computer
    • Windows Home Server Beacon discovery failed

Friday, January 30, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Does the server respond to ping by name or IP address? If you haven't set the server to a static IP, it's using DHCP to obtain an IP address. In that case, your router's configuration pages may be able to tell you the server's IP address (if it's on the network).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 30, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Ken,

It's using DHCP. I'm not able to ping the server. Would it help to give it a static IP? If so, how do I access the HP MSS  console if not remotely? How do I give it a static IP?    

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Hello Olaf,

Hi,

let me add some questions.
    Can you ping the server by it's name or IP address? No.

(If you can't get the IP address you can often check the routers informational pages, other than that there are tools which allow to scan the subnet for active IP addresses.)
    Did the IP address change recently? No. At least, I didn't do a DHCP release or anything.
    Have you altered the hosts file on a client in the past to overcome previous name resolution problems, so that a changed IP address causes the client no longer to resolve the name correctly? No. The only thing that I did was modified the backup schedule to reduce the number of weeks and the number of days. Then I noticed the server had gone offline. I did a reboot on the server....and this is where I'm at. Everything appears normal, lights blue, etc. but can't see server on network. I can see my other network group, however.

Did you "experiment" with the Windows Firewall settings on the Windows Home Server? No.
    Can you post the result of ipconfig /all entered in the command prompt on a client and (if you can reach it via remote desktop) the server? Isn't this dangerous to post publicly?

Olaf

Greetings from the Wine Country in California,

- Daniel

Friday, January 30, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Daniel_B said:

No, since the configuration is done in the most scenarios via NAT - which means, in your internal network are different addresses in use than in an external network.

To check, if your WHS has still assigned a IP address and responds to it you can download a free subnet scanner from here. This will quilckly scan through your subnet, and if you sort by Host Name, your active machines will be listed.

If the system remains invisible, check first the cabling on both ends. Does the network interface on the switch still flicker? What happens, if you swap the network cable?

If this does also not change anything, you may have to perform a server recovery following the manual of the HP system (or ask HP support, if they have an idea, but usually this will also their first idea).

Olaf

Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:42 AM