Worried about the authenticity of my licenses RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased two Windows 7 Ultimate licenses from the "softwaredealz" storefront on Amazon. Here's a link to exactly what I bought.

After reviewing some licensing materials from microsoft, I understand that a Windows license is valid if it meets one of two criteria: it comes with the genuine hologram, or it's a key purchased from an authorized digital OEM . I'm sorry that I don't have a citation; I lost the bookmark to the materials that I read and I can't find them this morning. The verbiage might not be precisely 'authorized digital OEM' but I think you catch my meaning. Anyway, I was just wondering, how do I know if this seller is an authorized digital OEM, and if they are not, is there a procedure to report this seller? Is there a procedure to get my money back?
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hello ses1984,

The listing says nothing about a digital delivery.  When you click Add to Cart it DOES say Microsoft software DVD-ROM  Condition:  New Quantity:  1 and there is a shipping charge.

The BIGGEST red flag, though, is they are selling a widely pirated item for 86% less than retail.

Did you see the one picture where a person's hand is holding a hologrammed disc; the disc has PROMOTIONAL COPY NOT FOR RESALE printed right on it.

Amazon seller rating=New Seller.  Oh boy another red flag.

Why do people try so hard to get themselves into these situations?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:35 PM
  • The only authorized entity for downloading Microsoft software products is Microsoft itself (i.e. Microsoft Store).  Anyone else who claims to be "authorized" is bogus and likely peddling counterfeit/pirated/stolen software.  Another clue is the price.  Software advertized at substantially below fair market value is very suspect.  I would advise you to seek an immediate refund!
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hello ses1984,

The listing says nothing about a digital delivery.  When you click Add to Cart it DOES say Microsoft software DVD-ROM  Condition:  New Quantity:  1 and there is a shipping charge.

The BIGGEST red flag, though, is they are selling a widely pirated item for 86% less than retail.

Did you see the one picture where a person's hand is holding a hologrammed disc; the disc has PROMOTIONAL COPY NOT FOR RESALE printed right on it.

Amazon seller rating=New Seller.  Oh boy another red flag.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:35 PM
  • The only authorized entity for downloading Microsoft software products is Microsoft itself (i.e. Microsoft Store).  Anyone else who claims to be "authorized" is bogus and likely peddling counterfeit/pirated/stolen software.  Another clue is the price.  Software advertized at substantially below fair market value is very suspect.  I would advise you to seek an immediate refund!
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:37 PM
  • I have contacted Amazon and the seller to request a refund.

You're right, the listing says nothing of digital delivery; if you search for windows 7 ultimate and look for alternate vendors, the blurb for this particular vendor is where digital delivery is mentioned. The hologrammed disc is a user-uploaded picture, so it's not necessarily representative of the item that's for sale.

1. I'm broke. If you can spare a few hundred dollars for Windows upgrades for me, that'd be great.
    2. Amazon has good customer service. If it turns out that this isn't legit, I'm confident I can get my money back.
    3. "Shoot first and ask questions later" is a phrase I sometimes apply when considering insanely good deals, as I have many times regretted not jumping on a deal because I thought it was too good to be true, but later on it turned out that it was legitimate. This is the first likely illegal deal that I've come across out of dozens of online deals.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:51 PM
  • The hologrammed disc is a user-uploaded picture, so it's not necessarily representative of the item that's for sale.
    You are 100% correct.  I thought it was a picture of the item being offered for sale in this listing.

I am mystified by the line of thinking on Amazon's part---why would you design a web site where some or most of the pictures displayed next to a listing of an item for sale are not the item for sale?

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:46 PM