Creating separate Admin password RRS feed

• Question

•  

So due to the issues with corrupt data, I want to make all users on the server "read-only" and reserve one user as an "admin" that has write priviledges, etc. so I can copy data over.  However, the machine that runs the server console insists that I have the same uname and password for that machine that I have for that user on the server.  I get it, makes it easier to access to data without haveing to type in password, etc.

However, if I do that, and I make the user on the console computer "read only", I no longer am able to access the share in "write" mode because I can't seem to get it to let me change users to "admin".  It insists on logging me in as the user on my console computer.

I hope tyhat made sense.  Any tips on what to do?  I tried one answer regarding the "net use" command but that didn't realy do the trick.

Any help would be appreciated.  Hope this isn't a completely stupid question.

Thanks!

Sunday, May 4, 2008 11:12 PM

Answers

• You will either want to make all but one user "read only" or make all users "read only" most of the time, and switch that user to write access when you need to put files on your server. The console offers you no way to make a WHS user an administrator on the server, and administrators aren't allowed to log in through the Remote Access web site, so you would be giving up quite a bit.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 3:04 AM