locked
Checking for updates always grayed out RRS feed

  • Question

  • I recently updated to 2.2500.30 and have noticed that "Checking for updates" is always grayed out. I believe it was not grayed out in the previous version when it was up to date. One care says it is up to date but my link indicator blinks continuously even when I have explorer closed and nothing running. I have also checked to see that I am up to date on all my Windows updates. So my 2 questions are:

     

    Why is "Checking for updates" always grayed out?

     

    Why does the windows link status always blinking?

     

    Both of these are new behaviors with the new version.

     

    thanks

    Friday, May 16, 2008 2:36 AM

Answers

  • Are you on dial-up? When the Check for Updates link is grayed out, it means that OneCare is checking for updates. Network activity would seem to bear this out. However, it shouldn't be downloading that much since you are on the latest build right now.

    -steve

    Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:56 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Are you on dial-up? When the Check for Updates link is grayed out, it means that OneCare is checking for updates. Network activity would seem to bear this out. However, it shouldn't be downloading that much since you are on the latest build right now.

    -steve

    Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:56 AM
    Moderator
  • Yes I am on dial up. I left the dial up on all wednesday night. The dial up eventually stopped for some reason during the night. I dialed up again and it was still updating. I then let it run several hours and it still stayed grayed out and the network was still active. I then read on the forum about the utility that clears out the data base when their are update issues so I tried it. I realized I would need to download a new data base but the information seemed to imply this would only take a couple of hours. I then let it run all night again. Again, during the night the dial up shut down. What was interresting is that I noticed that tune-up had run and when I dialed back in, the firewall asked if the dialer was safe (just like when I reinstalled onecare earlier in the week). Anyway, I let it run several hours this morning and will again let it run some more this evening. I am beginning to think that I might need to uninstall it, run the clean up utility (which I did not do the earlier in the week when I unistalled and then reinstalled) and then reinstall it again.

     

    Any ideas?

     

    thanks

     

    Mike

    Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:20 AM
  • Ah, if you ran the reset utility after the reinstall, yes, it is trickling down the updated signatures. It should not take more than a few hours at most, though. I'd hate for you to have to reinstall again, but that may be the quickest solution. On the other hand, leave it be and it should take the updates over time, despite repeated connections.

    -steve

     

    Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:39 AM
    Moderator
  • Wouldn't some sort of status bar be beneficial for those of us with dial-up? It seems odd that this feature isn't present when it's pretty much the norm for any type of download. Spending a few hours to do this is something we've learned to live with, but not actually knowing if anything is happening makes it very frustrating. Was this an oversight, or is there actually a valid reason why we can't have some sort of status indication as to how our update is progressing?
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Yes, that would be a good thing to have and has been asked for in the past. Perhaps we shall see something in a future update that provides a little more information about download activity.

    -steve

     

    Monday, May 19, 2008 2:27 PM
    Moderator
  • Well I let it try to update all night again. The next morning I was greeted with the question of what kind of firewall I wanted (i.e., public network or not). Since I had already answered this question aftered my initial install of 2.0, I knew it was confused. Being the patient guy I am, I let it try and update a few hours the next day and it still did not finish. I then uninstalled the program, ran the cleanup utility and reinstalled. It now works fine (not greyed out all the time and the network activity now shows idle).

     

    thanks

     

    Mike

    Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:38 AM
  • Excellent, Mike. Something must have been a bit out of whack with the initial install. Using the "hit it with a hammer" solution of the reinstall sounds like it worked well for you. Sorry it was problematic to begin with, though.

    -steve

     

    Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:20 PM
    Moderator