~When I downloaded OneCare, it told me other computers were in my network~ RRS feed

• Question

•  

This is not true, I only have one computer. Does this mean someone has hacked into my DSL and their computer is signed into my account?

This concerns me that OneCare says another computer is hooked up to my account.

I clicked the public option vs the multiple computer option, it said limited access to my computer would be available, but I DO NOT like this that someone else's computer has access to my computer...

HOW CAN I FIX THIS ASAP?????

thanks

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 5:58 PM

Answers

• What OneCare detected was that you are connected to the Internet and *asked* you to define if you are on a private or public network. If your PC is connected directly to a cable or DSL modem, or via dial-up, it is connected to the Internet directly and that is a public network, hence you made the right choice. If your have a router between the modem and your PC and have more than one PC connected to the router, you are on a private network and the routers is providing the basic structure to isolate the private network from the public Internet.

OneCare's firewall protects you from outside attack in either mode - Public or Home/Work. However, in the Home or Work choice, more fexibility is available for File and Printer sharing without much additional action on your part.

So, once again, your choice of Public sounds to be the correct one. Note that prior to installing OneCare, if you were directly connected to the Internet, the Windows firewall provided limited protection from outside attack, but it would be common for some protocols to be enabled that allow an attacker access to the PC in this configuration. OneCare greatly reduces this risk by asking you to identify the network type you are connected to.

-steve

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:43 PM