Things that need to be changed! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

1. There needs to be a seperate option to backup other than using TUNEUP!

2. There needs to be an option to install other antispamware programs like adaware without getting the red mark from Live OneCare! Some people might still want to use Firefox... and Liveonecare doesn't protect for that! -__-!

3. There needs to be an option to select which part of the drives we want to scan during tune-up!

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:16 AM

All replies

•  jhnguyen wrote:

1. There needs to be a seperate option to backup other than using TUNEUP!

jhnguyen wrote:

You can already do that.Configure backup, select the option for "when" and set the frequency of backup you desire.

2. There needs to be an option to install other antispamware programs like adaware without getting the red mark from Live OneCare! Some people might still want to use Firefox... and Liveonecare doesn't protect for that! -__-!

You can run other antispyware and adware removal programs, just none that run all the time and none that have been found to present a known conflict with OneCare when running.

Protecting from spyware, adware, etc. in Firefox is the job for add-ins available for Firefox or settings you select in Firefox. The protection for IE is that OneCare simply forces you to have the pop-up blocker on and the phishing filter on. It also changes your privacy level to the default if you've set it to less than that level.

jhnguyen wrote:

3. There needs to be an option to select which part of the drives we want to scan during tune-up!

You can already exclude folders and files from the virus and spyware scan by adding "exclusions" in the virus and spyware settings. If you mean Defrag, on this we agree.

-steve

Friday, April 11, 2008 12:28 PM
  • The whole tuneup option needs to be changed to allow us to select which tasks we need to run, especially when we are setting up the system the first time.  Having to re-run all of the tasks each time you re-run Tuneup is a waste of valuable time.  If I only want to re-run Defrag, I don't want to re-run the Virus scan.  Or if I want to re-run the virus scan, I don't want to run another Defrag.  My first system, I wasted five hours just trying to get a clean tuneup.  This is a very poor arrangement.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:45 AM
  • Dale13: Tune-Up exists to perform automated operation of all of these tasks on a 1 to 4 week basis, not the individual functions.

It's easy to perform these individual tasks without changing OneCare, and in fact the Anti-Virus scan can be started manually from the OneCare GUI itself at any time, just click on it. Since the Tune-Up does nothing more than automatically run the built-in Windows Defragmenter, you can also run this separately from the Computer Management interface in Windows XP or simply let Windows Vista run it weekly itself which is already scheduled by default.

You are mis-understanding why Tune-Up exists, it's not intended for manual control so of course it has no granularity.

OneCareBear

Sunday, April 13, 2008 5:13 AM
  • I don't want things on my computer or my customers that I can't control and this is a prime example of something I can't control.  From reading your reply and all of the other complaints about TuneUp, I doubt that MS is going to do anything to help us out with our problems.  I detest software vendors that take over our systems like they are the only ones ever to run on the system and they know what is best for us.

I wanted two things from onecare, Virus and spyware protection and the Change Startup Settings.  Since I've got it installed in several locations, I'm finding out that OneCare isn't the best product to do the job, (to many things that don't work right anymore and I can't turn off TuneUp)  As Steve is saying, We can run the Defrag and Virus Scan anytime we want so why do we need Tuneup especially since it doesn't do a very good job anyway and we can't control it.

Also as far as I've been able to look at Backup and consider using it, my first impression is that it is also useless.  There are much better alternatives on the market.  One good thing is that I can at least turn it off and am still using the old backup.

Unless I get this problem resolved along with the other one I've reported,  I'll be switching ourselves and my customers I've already converted back to our old Virus protection software.  Just to bad that we purchased OneCare already.  Don't suppose youd like to refund nine copies of OneCare?

Dale

Monday, April 14, 2008 7:02 AM