Restoring a Windows XP PC from Windows Home Server. Network issues. RRS feed

• Question

• One of my Windows XP PCs got corrupted and would boot and then Blue Screen.  Eventually I decided to Restore it from My Windows Home Server.  I booted the PC with the WHS Restore CD.  It would not find my network drivers.  The instructions were very clear.  I went to another PC and brought up my WHS Console.  I browsed the latest backup for the failing PC and found the folder with the drivers.  I copied them to a flash drive.  Moved the flash drive to the failed PC and it would say drivers found, but never show any network drivers.  I tried this twice with 2 different flash drives.  The corrupted PC is running Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit. The Motherboard is Intel with on the board ethernet adapter.  Finally I tried installing a PCI bus Ethernet card in the PC.  After rebooting off the Restore CD it found this network card.  I was then able to do a complete restore and it worked.

My concern is why did it not work as advertised and is there something I could have done better? Should I test my other PCs to see if WHS will work with their network adapters? 

Frank Herron
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:07 PM

All replies

• This is a known issue with some network adapters.  It makes it appear as if the driver installs succesfully but it doesn't.  You have to install it from the vendor rather than the one WHS says to use.

Yep, it's pretty annoying if you don't know about it and the instructions don't hint at that possibility.  I got bit by it too when I first did a trial run of restoring a machine.

Here's the link to the FAQ: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b14e3cf2-7b02-4569-8c26-c75b7a58d6e7

Manny Carvalho MS MVP Windows
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 6:48 AM