Upgrading from WHS1 RRS feed

• Question

• Ok I have a great plan to upgrade my server which is still harder than I think it should be.  Since I can't run two systems I decided to pull the old drives and save them and just put in new drives.  That way if worse comes to wose and I need a backup from the old system I can just put the drives back in.

So Saturday I put a 2TB drive into the old server with the plan of copying the data from the old share folders to the new drive.  I will then take a different drive and install the WHS2011 and finally install the 2TB drive on the new system and use the shared data from that as my shares.

Well after most of the day formating the dive I decided to copy the shares, seem that is an ugly process so I stopped and decided to add the 2TB as a backup and do a backup since the files are stored as is I can just move them around, that failed too.

Can anybody suggest a good way of getting the shared data from the old drive to the new drive (150GB).  Then I can try step two of the process.

I do have a USB backup drive that I have been using but so far I have not found a way to reading the data off the drive using WHS2011 unless I make a new backup, seems it is spanned across multibly folders.  Can WHS2011 read the WHS backup or is there another program out there that can?

John

John J. Hughes II
    Monday, August 8, 2011 9:29 PM

Answers

• Firstly WHS2011 can not read a WHS1 backup so that is a non-starter. If you put your files on a USB disk and then attach it to WHS2011, when it will be given a drive letter, you should be able to copy (RDP or local login to your server) to the drive with your WHS2011 Server shares. See below regarding how I copied data from WHS2011 RC to final version - bits may be relevant to you:

WHS Vail to WHS2011:
    This is how I did it:

In Vail, moved all shared folders to my main 2TB data drive
        Shut down Vail and removed connections to 2TB drive and did a fresh WHS2011 install on the 500GB boot disk on which Server Folders were created.
        Shut down server and reconnect 2TB drive. Booted and renamed all Server Folders on 2TB drive as NameOld (e.g. MusicOld)
        Ran the Move Folder wizard from the Dashboard to move Shared folders from D: to E: (2TB drive).
        Logged in locally and moved files from MusicOld to Music (both on same 2TB disk) and deleted the NameOld folders.

This worked for all my data and took no time at all as there was no copying from disk to disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, August 8, 2011 10:09 PM

All replies

• Firstly WHS2011 can not read a WHS1 backup so that is a non-starter. If you put your files on a USB disk and then attach it to WHS2011, when it will be given a drive letter, you should be able to copy (RDP or local login to your server) to the drive with your WHS2011 Server shares. See below regarding how I copied data from WHS2011 RC to final version - bits may be relevant to you:

WHS Vail to WHS2011:
    This is how I did it:

In Vail, moved all shared folders to my main 2TB data drive
        Shut down Vail and removed connections to 2TB drive and did a fresh WHS2011 install on the 500GB boot disk on which Server Folders were created.
        Shut down server and reconnect 2TB drive. Booted and renamed all Server Folders on 2TB drive as NameOld (e.g. MusicOld)
        Ran the Move Folder wizard from the Dashboard to move Shared folders from D: to E: (2TB drive).
        Logged in locally and moved files from MusicOld to Music (both on same 2TB disk) and deleted the NameOld folders.

This worked for all my data and took no time at all as there was no copying from disk to disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, August 8, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Thanks for the response...

I am stuck with the "In Vail, moved all shared folders to my main 2TB data drive" part.  I guess I just need to do a file copy, yi gads slow... 

John J. Hughes II
    Monday, August 8, 2011 11:28 PM