none
Question about MSDN - Unable to use back button in browser, stuck on social.msdn.com RRS feed

• Question

• Guys, not sure where else to post this, please redirect me if required.

I find it extremely frustrating when I do a search using bing or google, and end up on MSDN and then need to go back to my search results to look at other topics.

This always happens with Firefox (I stand to be corrected, but I think I have seen similar issues in IE)

The browser back button is supposed to take you the to the prior page, but instead of doing this, the browser just keep on refreshing the current page instead of going back to the action prior page before entering MSDN

Is this behavior normal ?

Thanks

• Moved by Quist Zhang Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:23 AM Issue about using Forum
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:30 PM

Answers

• I had this happen a few times. It only happened for me (just tested it) when landing on a forum list page and only on MSDN forums (not TechNet or other brands). When I landed on a forum thread page, I never got this issue. Most of the times I ran into this issue, clicking Back twice got me back out of the forums, but one time, clicking back just redirected me again and I couldn't ever get back to the search engine.

I just submitted this as a bug request.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

• Marked as answer by Andre Uys Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:31 AM
    Owner

All replies

• I believe this depends on the site rather than the browser, but clicking the Back button twice, quickly, may do the trick. Or you could just open a new window, or a new tab, when you click a search result.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:57 AM
  • I had the same problems as well and I believe this problem was discussed in this forum a while back. I'd say it's a bug.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Really? I have seen it with other sites as well. Unfortunately, I don't have an example.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Basically, if back button of the browser doesn't not normally return to the originating site (google search results), then the site that makes the back button misbehave, has a bug. The back button should simply work correctly.

My blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Basically, if back button of the browser doesn't not normally return to the originating site (google search results), then the site that makes the back button misbehave, has a bug. The back button should simply work correctly.

My blog

Well, if the site is intentionally preventing you from going Back, then it isn't a bug, strictly speaking...

For what it's worth, with search results on google, I have never seen a problem (using IE).

Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:09 PM
  • I believe that it is using a redirector to get to the site listed, not just a direct link to it.  That way they get credit for sending the user there.  If you right click the back button, I think it will show a list of sites visited in order up to five or maybe ten.  Just go down the list until you see "Bing Search Results" or "Google Search Results" or something like that (I don't have the exact wording right now).
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Kamin,

I'm sure you're right about the redirector, although I have no idea how it's implemented... :-)  Indeed, using the recent history will help.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:36 PM
  • Even when I stay strictly on the TechNet or MSDN site, the Back button doesn't always behave the way I expect.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:24 PM
  • "Richard Mueller [MVP]" wrote in message news:0c10bf40-ed9f-4d8e-aa01-359d51306d5f@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Even when I stay strictly on the TechNet or MSDN site, the Back button doesn't always behave the way I expect.

Interesting. I guess I have been lucky then... :-)

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:50 AM
  • I think sometimes, you get on pages, which will redirect you to another page, directly, meaning the first page you wont even notice, so actually by clicking on one page, you're going further two pages and then when clicking on the back button, you get to the first page which will always redirect you to the second page. That's my opinion what the issue could be. So if you want to go back, you have to double-click the back button, what always worked for me when this "bug" occured. (like Stefan already said in the first reply)

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:32 AM
  • I had this happen a few times. It only happened for me (just tested it) when landing on a forum list page and only on MSDN forums (not TechNet or other brands). When I landed on a forum thread page, I never got this issue. Most of the times I ran into this issue, clicking Back twice got me back out of the forums, but one time, clicking back just redirected me again and I couldn't ever get back to the search engine.

I just submitted this as a bug request.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

• Marked as answer by Andre Uys Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:31 AM
    Owner
  • Excellent Ed, that captures exactly what I had been experiencing, sometimes the double back works but usually it does not and you are stuck. Thanks
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:59 AM
  • UPDATE: The forum team filed Bug 1152401 to track this.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:20 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed, we are trying to get a repro on this one with no luck so far. Can you tell us what was the search keyword you used, in what search engine (Google or Bing) and on what MSDN page you landed?

That would give us a consistent repro for us to work on.

Thanks.

We keep on trying meanwhile to get a repro.

Community Forums QA

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:57 PM
  • I get this on every MSDN page, it becomes very frustrating when learning VB and I have to look up just about every keyword, function or method etc and the backspace/back button not working means I keep taking my hands away from the keyboard to mouse into the recent history.

I am using chrome (v28.x) and an example page is: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.threading.threadpool.aspx

I do not ind this issue with other sites viewed in chrome

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:16 PM
  • an example page is: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.threading.threadpool.aspx

As others have explained, there is a redirect before the URL that you want to go back from.  Therefore if you just "go back" you hit the redirect and the net result is that you are back where you started from.  

There are several workarounds for this for IE users.  I don't use Chrome so you may have to adapt them to its UI.

• right-click on the Back button and pick the item below the "Continue" one
    • press Esc as soon as you use the Back button.  If you're lucky that will stop the execution of the redirect and thus allow you to try another execution of the Back button which would then find a different URL, e.g. not the last redirect, but in general (especially with Google sites) you might also have to be prepared to do it again, perhaps repeatedly, since more than one redirect may have been used, evidently designed to try to hold you at the final destination.
    • use your History (Ctrl-Shift-H) for its View, By Order Visited Today to "go back" to wherever it is that you want to go

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:13 AM
  • As others have explained, there is a redirect before the URL that you want to go back from.  Therefore if you just "go back" you hit the redirect and the net result is that you are back where you started from. 

My solution to this when using Google or Bing is to use tabs. I put the search page on the left-most tab, and always open each link in a new tab. When I close the new tab, I am back on the search page (or I can select the left-most tab manually).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:01 AM