Money Sunset Older Backup Files Not Being Deleted? RRS feed

• Question

• Just got up and running with Sunset Win7 on new PC.  However, I see I have 8 .mbf files in the directory. 

Checked "Automatically Backup, no compression, and keep only 3 most recent files". Seems like it is not deleting older backup files.

Please advise.....

Thanks Once Again!

Saturday, January 21, 2012 1:11 PM

All replies

• Money Plus only deletes at most one file as it adds one. With Windows Exploirer, delete all but 3 *.mbf files (with the same root name-- the part before the date+time portion of the filename). Then Money Plus will maintain the quantity at 3. If disk space is plentiful, you may want to consider a larger number.

I suggest also using a USB flash drive for the scheduled  backup. Consider that hard drives sometimes fail. There is a way in Windows to have a given drive become the same drive letter each time it is plugged into a given computer rather than being assigned the lowest available drive letter. That way, Money can remember the drive letter that it is to use for each scheduled (maybe every 2 weeks?) backup.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Thanks, I appreciate your help and advice very much. Failure is the primary reason I bought a new Dell even though the 10 year old Dimension was doing fine; the Money file is the most important file on the PC.

My problem was I was putting the backups into the wrong directory. OK now.

Since I keep the Seagate permanently attached, I made a directory on the E drive dedicated to MS Money backups. Increased the backups to 10 on a daily basis .Don't want to mess with Windows 7 until I am have a little more stick time with it. Somewhat different than XP.

Do you recommend compression or not?

This forum is great and MS Money is the best financial software ever developed and I will bend over backwards to stay with it.

Thanks

Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:59 PM
  • I use compression. It saves space, but it takes more time. Time is the only downside that I know of.

While you have thought through your backup policy, here is what I suggest for those who have yet to do so:

In M+: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
      Save in [a place on your hard drive ]. It is best to Browse to
         a location rather than typing the path.
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _5_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

x Perform scheduled backups every _28_ days
      Save in [a USB flash drive location]
       x Ask me before backing up each time*
       x Compress Backup Files
       Keep only the _2_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

Then periodically, perhaps each month or three, copy your latest
    backup (uniquely named by Money) to a CDR.

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
    each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
    not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
    backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to
    Postpone.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Key point is to BROWSE and MS Money plug in path rather than type it in. That was my error.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 4:28 PM
  • Cal, may I suggest a slight update (for Vista and Windows 7) to your backup Policy?  The Save in Location should be in a folder under My Documents, not simply [a place on your hard drive ]. 
    • Edited by bobjbkln Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:07 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:06 PM
  • A scheme I am using to archive away the *.mbf files

• I have tool that run daily (often at end of day) that looks info the backup directory.
    • Check all backup files. For each backup file, determine when it was modified.  Find the latest for each day. Save that file into an "archived" directory with layout YYYY/MM/DD. Keep at most ONE file per day (the latest one).
    • Overtime I will have a collection of ONE backup file for each day.
    • If archived directory needs trimming, it can be done easily because of the tree layout YYYY/MM/DD.
    • I usually keep the last two month: ~60 files x 100M = 6G. Anything older than a month, I keep the copy of the last day of month.
    • My archived dir is still local but eventually, I probably add AES encryption and make the archived directory one of the "cloud" directory (like dropbox).

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:11 AM