inability to install client software RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed the client software on several desktops and laptops running either XP or Vista. I tried to install the client on a laptop which I recently installed Vista personal on. I cannot get the software to conplete and have to cancel out of the install. The server is seen under networking and I can see and attach to the shared folders but cannot backup the laptop or run the console.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:17 PM

Answers

• I installed the connector software from the server which uninstalled the software and it worked.

Monday, April 7, 2008 3:10 PM

All replies

•  Bob Weber wrote:

I have recently installed the client software on several desktops and laptops running either XP or Vista. I tried to install the client on a laptop which I recently installed Vista personal on. I cannot get the software to conplete and have to cancel out of the install. The server is seen under networking and I can see and attach to the shared folders but cannot backup the laptop or run the console.

Bob

Vista Personal?

Can you confirm the actual version of Vista you are using please?

Andrew

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 7:01 AM
  • I'm using Vista Home Premium with SP1 on it. The software gets to the point that it asks for the password for the server, I enter it and it waits awhile and then fails.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 1:09 PM
  • Bob,

There's a couple of things you try, this post lists a few of the more common problems.

Also, you don't have anything like an anti-virus active, as some of them will stop installations.

Something that someone posted in the past might be worthwhile trying:

- Run the Connector setup and fill in the appropriate info for your server.

- When the software tries to connect, but fails, click 'next' anyway.

- On the final screen of the install DO NOT CLICK FINISH. Instead, reboot your computer.

- The connector software will be installed and available for you to use without issues.

Colin

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:54 PM
  • The wizard finds the Home Server and prompts for the password. After about 30 seconds a prompt comes back with:

(An unknown network error has occurred) the only options are back next(greyed out) and cancel, I "x'd" out of the application and rebooted with the same effect, the home server icon in the taskba r but cannot connect to the server thru it.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 11:59 PM
  • Have you verified that you are entering the correct password?

Bob Weber wrote:

The wizard finds the Home Server and prompts for the password. After about 30 seconds a prompt comes back with:

(An unknown network error has occurred) the only options are back next(greyed out) and cancel, I "x'd" out of the application and rebooted with the same effect, the home server icon in the taskba r but cannot connect to the server thru it.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Yes I have verified the password, my next step is to remove any references to Windows Home Server in the registry and retry installation. This laptop had Windows Xp on the drive, I removed and installed a new drive and installed Vista on it. I also removed the entry in the home server that referenced the old unit with Xp on it before I attempted in attach again. There is a reference somewqhere on the laptop or server which is preventing the connector from connecting but under networking I ban see the server an dconnect to and add network drives letters to the laptop drive for the shared folders.

Friday, April 4, 2008 3:19 PM
  • I installed the connector software from the server which uninstalled the software and it worked.

Monday, April 7, 2008 3:10 PM