Blocked file suffixes for sync RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that by design Live Mesh will not sync several file types including .mny (Microsoft Money).  As a Money user I would like to have a copy kept on my Live Desktop for no other reason than a backup copy should something happen to my computer and it's backup media.  Is there a reason for certain file types not to be available for syncing with Live Desktop and if so why? Is there any work around for this limitation?
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:02 PM

Answers

• This answer is not really mesh related but (and it's been a few years since I've used Money) but can't you specify Money to create a backup file whenever you exit Money? When you specify the backup file just be sure to not use one of these extensions:

.bak .gfs .lnk .mbf .mny .mpc .pst .sav .tmp .wlx .laccdb

Then you should be able to get your backup money file to appear in the mesh.

Another item to try is for you main Money file don't have it use the .mny extension (I don't have installed so I can't test if money will open it). rename your file to myfile.dat or something. Try to open that file from money.

Either of those options should then get your money file to be in the mesh for backup purposes.

Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:10 PM

All replies

• This answer is not really mesh related but (and it's been a few years since I've used Money) but can't you specify Money to create a backup file whenever you exit Money? When you specify the backup file just be sure to not use one of these extensions:

.bak .gfs .lnk .mbf .mny .mpc .pst .sav .tmp .wlx .laccdb

Then you should be able to get your backup money file to appear in the mesh.

Another item to try is for you main Money file don't have it use the .mny extension (I don't have installed so I can't test if money will open it). rename your file to myfile.dat or something. Try to open that file from money.

Either of those options should then get your money file to be in the mesh for backup purposes.

Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:10 PM
  • The file types that can't be included in a Live Mesh sync are listed here:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/ed5676d9-59a4-4203-9191-d7f0d72f467b

I assume that the reason for not allowing a .mny file to be synchronized is that Money is not designed to access a data file from multiple locations/machines.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:24 PM
  • I will take a look at the possibility of changing the suffix on the money file and see if that works.  I know that I could create a batch file to copy to a mesh folder and change the suffix during the copy which would also serve my purposes for backing up the data file.

Thanks.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Thanks for the information.  I have seen the list of file types that are not synchronized by Mesh but wasn't quite sure of the reason behind them all.  I realize that Money is not meant to be a multi-location application but it would be nice to have a secure copy off-site in case of an emergency.

Thanks for getting back to me.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 2:38 PM
  • I agree that having a backup in the cloud would be nice, so I think that the offered solution of creating the backup file automatically with a name that includes an extension that isn't excluded by Live Mesh is a decent workaround.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 4, 2009 3:01 PM