Upgrade to WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Ok I get the impression they have released WHS 2011 and I can get it on MSDN and technet.  What is the upgrade path if you don't have MSDN/technet?  I have a home made box using the OEM version, can I just buy the OEM version somewhere and install?
    John J. Hughes II
    www.functioninternational.com
    • Moved by kariya21Moderator Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:06 PM not a WHS v1 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:11 PM

Answers

• You can buy the OEM product later this year (month may rumour is..), but for the rest.. there is no upgrade path. Part of the reason is that (WHS is X86 and WHS 2011 is X64.

So basicly it's a clean install and no data transfer can be done. So meanwhile start thinking about where to store your date in this proces.
    Best (read : easiest.. for what it's worht.. ;- ) )... is to install WHS2011 on a new machine and after completion of the installation, copy the data of WHS to the WHS2011 machine. It takes "some" time, but in my opnion it's the safest route.
    Ok I get the impression they have released WHS 2011 and I can get it on MSDN and technet.  What is the upgrade path if you don't have MSDN/technet?  I have a home made box using the OEM version, can I just buy the OEM version somewhere and install?
    John J. Hughes II

Have a nice day!
    • Marked as answer by jjhii Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:29 PM

All replies

• You can buy the OEM product later this year (month may rumour is..), but for the rest.. there is no upgrade path. Part of the reason is that (WHS is X86 and WHS 2011 is X64.

So basicly it's a clean install and no data transfer can be done. So meanwhile start thinking about where to store your date in this proces.
    Best (read : easiest.. for what it's worht.. ;- ) )... is to install WHS2011 on a new machine and after completion of the installation, copy the data of WHS to the WHS2011 machine. It takes "some" time, but in my opnion it's the safest route.
    Ok I get the impression they have released WHS 2011 and I can get it on MSDN and technet.  What is the upgrade path if you don't have MSDN/technet?  I have a home made box using the OEM version, can I just buy the OEM version somewhere and install?
    John J. Hughes II

Have a nice day!
    • Marked as answer by jjhii Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Thanks for the response....

I was aware of the "Can't upgrade" gotcha and am aware I would have to flattern the machine and do a fresh install :(

Its is on is a new machine and I don't have a second machine so...  I do have it backup on USB disks (I will make a second), well at least what it WHS backs up.  I am assuming I can restore the data files from that.  I will lose the workstation backups I assume but as long as the workstations are not down that is only annoying not major problem.

It would be nice if you could just flatten the C drive and upgrade that.  I don't see why the rest has to be flatterned (I may misunderstand).  But I guess since they removed DE the new OS won't be able to read the old data.

John J. Hughes II
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:49 PM