Data Redundancy Question RRS feed

• Question

•  

I’ve searched for the answer to this but can’t seem to find exactly what I’m looking for. I’ve set up WHS on a box I had around with one internal hard drive. It did the normal OS partition and the rest for shared files. I’ve since added another internal hard drive and an external hard drive with the add drive wizard and copied data to the shared folders.

Now my question – I want a redundant copy of my shared folders to be on yet another external drive I’ve purchased. I bought the new drive, plugged it in and added the drive saying I wanted to use it for server backups. I also went to the properties of each folder and enabled duplication.

Have I accomplished my goals once duplication finishes? I’m thinking not because the little storage pie chart shows files space being taken by duplication but yet shows the added external drive as being 100% available.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Randy

Friday, November 28, 2008 10:25 PM

Answers

• The server backup feature is triggered manually. Adding the drive as a backup driver in the console is the first half of the process. Now, on the computers tab, you'll see that your server also appears. You can back up the server shares from this location (manual backup only, n way to schedule a backup).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by randyp1234 Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:31 AM
    Friday, November 28, 2008 10:27 PM
  • randyp1234 said:

So by designating that drive to be used for server backup will it *only* be used for this manual backup?

Yes.  It will not be part of the storage pool (unless you add it yourself at a later date).
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:56 AM

All replies

• The server backup feature is triggered manually. Adding the drive as a backup driver in the console is the first half of the process. Now, on the computers tab, you'll see that your server also appears. You can back up the server shares from this location (manual backup only, n way to schedule a backup).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 28, 2008 10:27 PM
  • So by designating that drive to be used for server backup will it *only* be used for this manual backup?
    Friday, November 28, 2008 11:12 PM
  • randyp1234 said:

So by designating that drive to be used for server backup will it *only* be used for this manual backup?

Yes.  It will not be part of the storage pool (unless you add it yourself at a later date).
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:56 AM
  • And by not being part of the storage pool then my workstation backups will not go there either. Just, and only, the server backups - correct?

I know Ken Warren said that there was no way to automate the server backup process. Is there any third party installs that will do this? Seems like an oversight to me not to be able to schedule a backup. Although I do like that when you do the manual method that it's in a format that you can see the individual files rather than the backup being wrapped up inside another file.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:50 PM
  • randyp1234 said:

And by not being part of the storage pool then my workstation backups will not go there either. Just, and only, the server backups - correct?

Correct.

randyp1234 said:

I know Ken Warren said that there was no way to automate the server backup process. Is there any third party installs that will do this?

You would have to install something like RoboCopy from the server desktop (which, FYI, installing anything from the server desktop is unsupported).

randyp1234 said:

Seems like an oversight to me not to be able to schedule a backup. Although I do like that when you do the manual method that it's in a format that you can see the individual files rather than the backup being wrapped up inside another file.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 5:55 PM
  • Thanks all for your help.

randy
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:31 AM