The product key found on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. (XP Pro) RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased this software, Windows XP Professional, OEM Software.  The software was sealed and the product key should have never been used on another computer before.  While trying to install the software, I received the "Cyclic Redundancy" error after setup had copied the files, even though my disc was brand new.  I completed the installation using another xp disc that I borrowed from a friend, but was not an official disc.  The product key that my computer is currently using is the key that came with my new software; I don't understand why it wouldn't be valid.  I've included the Diagnostic Report below.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VCC7M-R669M-HKCCG
    Windows Product Key Hash: LugU+Y6wfZSUiI4ZDcie31CGEYY=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-011-6260304-22766
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {8F1E51B0-A8D8-4555-90B5-A3B31374C20F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{8F1E51B0-A8D8-4555-90B5-A3B31374C20F}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HKCCG</PKey><PID>76487-011-6260304-22766</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1482476501-854245398-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Sony Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>PCG-K27(UC)</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>R0110X1</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040519000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3CBB3707018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 8852:HITACHI, Ltd|8852:HITACHI, Ltd|8852:HITACHI, Ltd|1FFB0:Sony Corporation|1FFB0:Sony Corporation ITCNC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:36 AM

Answers

• Hello jdwalters7,

There is something strange about the copy of XP Pro you installed.

You described it as being an OEM copy and being in plastic wrap and being able to read the product key thru the plastic wrap.  That all describes how an OEM licensing kit for XP Pro is packaged:  it is a genuine hologrammed OEM CD in a plain white CD envelope, shrinkwrapped on the backside of the blue user guide thin pamphlet, and affixed on the exteriotr of the shrink wrap is the Certificate of Authenticity sticker, which is to be removed and stuck to the computer upon installation of XP.

The strange part is the the report above is showing that a Retail license for XP Pro is installed on the computer.

WGA Data-->
    Validation Code: 8Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product ID: 76487-011-6260304-22766     [If OEM license this would read "OEM."]
    Windows License Type: Retail   [If OEM license this would read "OEM System Builder."]

This might happen if your friend's XP disc was a retail disc.

But, the product key you received with the XP Pro OEM kit you bought should have been rejected by XP setup because they are made with different algorithms.  You must have swapped out discs after the point in setup where this is established in order to get this curious mash-up installation.

Try this:  On another computer, insert the OEM hologarmmed XP Pro disc you received (not the freind's disc) and burn a copy of it.  I have found that making a copy of a disc with errors quite often fixes the errors.

Then with this copy, do a clean installation (repartition and reformat) using the PK that came with the OEM kit.  Hopefully that will work to overcome the copying errors. If not, you can try to use another genuine hologrammed OEM disc, if you know anyone that has one.  The service pack level of the CD is important only if your kit is a SP3 kit.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hello jdwalters7,

Your Product Key appears to be Genuine. 

However, I do show an Activation History where the first time this key was Activated was back in June 2009.

So, the first thing I would like you to do is compare your Product Key to the one showing in the Diagnostic Report (*****-*****-VCC7M-R669M-HKCCG).  This is to confirm that your Windows is, in fact, using the proper key.

After that, go to http://microsoft.com/genuine and then click the Validate Windows.  This should Validate your Windows as Genuine and once that happens you should no longer get the Non-Genuine messaging.

Thank you,
    Darin MS 

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:10 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Thank you Darin.  I double-checked and according to the Diagnostic Report, Windows is using the same key that I have.  I tried to validate Windows again and had the same result.  I'm not sure why my software would have been activated back in June, unless someone read the activation code through the plastic wrap and used it.  I just received it new last week, sealed and everything. 

Do you know of anything else I could try?  THANK YOU!!!!

-Jeff
    Friday, January 29, 2010 7:38 AM
  • Hello jdwalters7,

There is something strange about the copy of XP Pro you installed.

You described it as being an OEM copy and being in plastic wrap and being able to read the product key thru the plastic wrap.  That all describes how an OEM licensing kit for XP Pro is packaged:  it is a genuine hologrammed OEM CD in a plain white CD envelope, shrinkwrapped on the backside of the blue user guide thin pamphlet, and affixed on the exteriotr of the shrink wrap is the Certificate of Authenticity sticker, which is to be removed and stuck to the computer upon installation of XP.

The strange part is the the report above is showing that a Retail license for XP Pro is installed on the computer.

WGA Data-->
    Validation Code: 8Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product ID: 76487-011-6260304-22766     [If OEM license this would read "OEM."]
    Windows License Type: Retail   [If OEM license this would read "OEM System Builder."]

This might happen if your friend's XP disc was a retail disc.

But, the product key you received with the XP Pro OEM kit you bought should have been rejected by XP setup because they are made with different algorithms.  You must have swapped out discs after the point in setup where this is established in order to get this curious mash-up installation.

Try this:  On another computer, insert the OEM hologarmmed XP Pro disc you received (not the freind's disc) and burn a copy of it.  I have found that making a copy of a disc with errors quite often fixes the errors.

Then with this copy, do a clean installation (repartition and reformat) using the PK that came with the OEM kit.  Hopefully that will work to overcome the copying errors. If not, you can try to use another genuine hologrammed OEM disc, if you know anyone that has one.  The service pack level of the CD is important only if your kit is a SP3 kit.
    Friday, January 29, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Dan,

You are correct, my software is OEM.  I hadn't noticed that the License Type was listed as Retail.  Could that be a result of the trouble I had installing the software?  I was getting a cylic redundancy error on the setup so then I had to use a friend's disc to complete the install.  I had to switch to his disc after all the files were copied and the computer restarted.  His disc was used for the Windows setup (the part where it gives the estimated time left) because mine kept on having that data error, even though it was new and I saw no scratches on it (I also tried cleaning it).  It asked me for the product key during setup and I entered the one from my software.

-Jeff

Friday, January 29, 2010 3:35 PM
  •  I completly missed that. Good catch Dan!

Darin MS
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 8:51 PM